VPI Classic - Now you have one......

For all who have had the Classic for a while now...what's it like to live with and is it what you expected it to be or more/ less?
robm1
I sold my SDS after a few weeks with my Classic, it didnt' make the same, or any, difference, as it did with the Scoutmaster Sig. I also don't use a Gingko Platform as I had with other tables. I only use the Ring Clamp, that this is great.
Jaspert
You're speaking from your head, not your heart! Life's too short for that.
I got mine last week and really like it.
I had one question for those of you with more experience then myself.
I ordered a John Boos maple butcher block thinking it was 2.25" thick but instead received a 1.5" thick version.

How much difference does thickness make when it comes to using a maple block. In the classic manual it says to use a 2" thick block. Should I return what I got and try to find a thicker one?

Thanks,

-- Sanjay
Schugh

Within Audiogon, you'll find Michigan Maple or Dawnsplatforms. 3" thick maple boards that just fit under the Classic sell for $75. Seems like a good price compared with other vendors.
I tried the Boos 1.5" and the 2.25" cutting board supported by #2 Vibrapods around the perimeter. The 1.5" for me was the best by a wide margin. I use 1.5" Boos that I cut to size under my DAC's, tube & solid state electronics, and transports with very good results. I currently am using a Gingko Cloud under the Classic. The other turntable in the system with the Classic is on a 1.5" Boos and Stillpoints. I have found that one must experiment with supports.

I use a Benz ACE SL S cartridge, a VPI cable, and an Allnic H1500 II SE phono stage with the Classic. I found that dampening fluid was necessary. Without it, I had lack of focus and a sound stage that was very wide with little height.

The periphery ring clamp a center weight is a good upgrade.