Turntable Distortion

Recently decided to get into vinyl a bit and found a free B&O Beogram RX-2 w/ MMC4. I bought a Cambridge Audio 640P and connected to my Creek Destiny (the Creek does not have a pre-installed phono board).

All records sound overdriven even at low volumes. Is this likely a problem with the TT (cartridge/tonearm setup, turntable itself) or the preamp?

Thanks.
al3700
I don't believe so, its a TT only and to test if it worked at all I tried plugging the TT directly into the Creek before purchasing the separate phone pre. Sound came through w/o the pre but at an extremely low level.

Thanks for the beoworld tip, I've posted this question there as well.
does the 640 have a step-up for moving coil carts? That would certainly account for over-driving
I don't know anybody with that combination.I wasn't a fan of the B&O cartridges because of strange to me sonics.See if you could swap out TT's somehow.Its been a long time since I heard a B&O. I do remember them having a distorted sound,but apparently all of their owners didn't think so.I don't know if what I heard could be described that way.I liked the looks of their TT's though.