Sprung vs Unsprung VPI Turntables.

Taking a look the new VPI unsprung tables I feel that they have taken this path based more on economy than on sound quality. Take a look at there new Classic. Its clearly a replacement for the revered HW19 MKII,III,IV but with out the suspension. Now think about the manufacturing process. For unsprung tables once your plinth is cut and ready all you need to do is bolt the parts on and you are done. With a sprung table things are complicated. You need to match your suspension parts first, assemble them and then they need to be calibrated to work properly. You need skilled labor and fine tuning to get the tables to the stores.
So, my point is no need to jump to a new fad just because...
spaninc
If you were able to read the TT tweak section of mapleshade records before it was removed (now missing from their website), he spoke about one of the biggest improvements being to remove suspension of the turntable and of the motor in order to remove "random motion" between the two. In fact this is what Harry has done on the most recent TT (Classic) and I think there is merit to this.

I may try substituting isoblocks under the motor and surefoots under the TT instead of sorbothane even (provided I'm on one of those maple blocks of course....) if I don't upgrade to the Classic.

BTW - I do not believe that VPI would make any change that is not related to improving the sound at a given price point. His business does fine on record cleaners and accessories alone for him to be worried about replacement markets.
As I am seeing now, many long time very serious Audiophiles, are now taking a step back to the Vinyl Heyday, of the late 70's into the full part of the 1980's. They mention that the best of the best was made during this time period. So, they are going after Classic Cartridges, hopefully NOS....with good suspension, but rubber renew has been known to help the grommet stay supple, in suspension. This is why I think I have never heard a Non Suspended VPI that I liked....I feel that they moved away from the best ways of doing things, in order to change for changes sake...hence selling more tables. Lets face it, they made the Non Suspended decks much sleeker and nicer looking than HW19's but I dont believe anywhere near in sound. I have not heard the Classics, and the only other VPI that I like is the TNT...certain series. Its easy enough to isolate your motor, and your springs, without spending much money, and the way was told to me by Mike of VPI. I did take him up on the motor isolation. Its almost like the crazy so called improvements with the SuperPlatters, for the HW19's MK.IV and in reality, only one of the platters, was the true best one, not the clear platter, etc... there was another in there, also sucked. So, I will stick with what I continue to hear. Harry even makes posts regarding the HW19's on Audio Asylum or Audio Karma, I have read all of his posts. But remember, some of it is still to do with sales. Ray
The older TNT turntables have really come down in price since the introduction of the Classic. Would one be better off with a Classic or say a TNT 3 or even the HW-19 mk4 mentioned above? Are the aluminum platters or the acrylic platters supposed to be better. Completely confused by the VPI line. Bob
I use a scoutmaster with a Arcici stand with really good results. IMO it is like having a sprung table, the entire shelf the TT sits on is on three air bladders.