Using XLR for Phono out

Hi folks, I am setting up my stereo on paper first and have an interesting question. I have bought a PS Audio GCPH phono preamp. It has RCA inputs for phone but output
can be RCA or XLR! PSAudio states their amp is all balanced. I am using a VPI JWM tonearm that has direct RCA outputs. I am using XLR from preamp Cambridge 840E to my Marklevinson 336. Should I use the XLR phono output to the preamp too? Thanks, Rique.
spaninc
This question, and ones in a similar vein, comes up all the time. In this specific case, if your linestage (the Cambridge 840E, I guess) is balanced, then there is an advantage to using the XLR outputs on the GCPH. If your linestage is single-ended, you may as well use the RCA outputs from the GCPH. When I use the terms "balanced" vs "single-ended" with respect to your linestage, I refer to the internal circuitry, NOT to the fact that it may or may not offer XLR input jacks. The problem is that many manufacturers use "fuzzy" language in describing their circuit topology, now that balanced circuits are somewhat in vogue. It is safe to say however that if your Cambridge preamp offers only RCA inputs, you may as well use the RCA outputs from the GCPH.
A fellow Audiogoner suggested the single-ended outputs on my Pass Xono sound better than the balanced outputs. I tried both and also contacted Pass Labs. They said they listen to the Single-ended outputs and this is what I prefer also. So I switched even though the rest of my Pass system is balanced. The advantage of extra gain and noise cancellation at this point in the chain was less important than using the simpler circuit and it simply sounds better. More low level detail, cleaner and slightly better staging. Your equipment will certainly sound different, so I would just experiment.
Agreed with others that it would be no definite answer. Experiments make our audio system perfect. With your decent audio gears, you should hear some sonic differences by switching RCA and XLR connections. The reasons behind are due to a bit more output and differences(lower, I guess) in impedance of XLR connections.

IMHO, if you want to unleash the full potentials of your vinyls, put your phono amp closer to TT and use a pair of decent phono cable(shorter & with lower capacitance the better)in order to prevent excessive signal loss or "twists" at the very beginning. You may hear a lot more sonic improvements if you could run a short "TRUE" DIN-XLR balanced phono cable from TT to phono amp.

Thanks everybody, I guess I will have to experiment. By the way I will let you know if the Cambridge 840E is truly all balanced.

Enrique
Me again, this is what Cambridge sais: The Azur 840E makes room for eight inputs, including two fully balanced XLR inputs! guess that responds some questions. Enrique