Moving into vinyl. Brinkman, TW Raven, GrandPrix??

Dear all,

I'm considering moving into vinyl as all my friends tell me it's the real deal and once you've got it, digital doesn't seem to appealing anymore.

I've being reading some threads on the various brands etc etc and have made a selection of a few players I'm highly interested in.

- Brinkman Balance
- TW Raven Black Night
- Grand Prix Audio Monaco turntable

Obviously the arm/cart has an impact on the sound as well, but which of these tables would to prefer and why? Any other tables I should consider?

I don't have funds for the really expensive turntables, the above brands are the price range I'm thinking of buying.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.
maxx1973
toffeng I spoke to Thomas at the London show a year ago and he said the One gives you 95% of the performance of the AC for, what, about half the price.
If you want to save a bit more on the arm, he uses an Ortofon 309 on his one and says, again, it is only a few percentage points off the Phantom, or Triplanar. I use an Ortofon on my One and am very happy with it
Everyone,

Thanks a lot about all the feeback. Since it's generally impossible for my to auction every interesting turntable, arm, cartridge combination + phone stage at the same dealer I do need to make a pre selection based on the experiences people have on here. Appreciate it

Out of interest, has anyone experience with the Bergmann turntable? It looks pretty nice.
Hi!

Good luck Maxx1973 :) Timztunz; Ortofon 309 will definetly be looked into. Thanks!

Cheeers, ToffenG
Maxx,

When you get to the top end of TT designs, preference is definitely very personal. Any of the above will give you a really stable platform on which you can let your chosen arm/cart/phono stage sing. In some ways, this is your bigger conundrum, getting synergy with the rest of your system, your room and the music you like to play.
If you live in the US, getting a demo, let alone a home demo is a real problem, whereas for us Brits, the travelling distances to dealers are relatively easy. Dealer backup is really important, unless you're used to setting up TTs, arms and carts. Having continuing backup after your purchase is a key element in your long term enjoyment, if you're a vinyl newbie. If you're like me (having set up TTs now for nearly 30 years), then dealer backup (apart from quality control issues) are less important.
If you're in the US, I would seriously consider a trip to NYC to see Jeff at Highwater Sound. TW TTs, TRON phono stages etc and great backup.

Happy Christmas shopping!

Charlie
Maxx 1973,

I have the Brinkmann two arm LaGrange.
At this point and this level there is not much that one can say when you hear such a wonder of design, elegance and utter perfection.

The man is a fanatic designer down to the nature of the screws and their different composition. So when he works out the arm (the 10.5) and the EMT cartridge to his specs to his specific table, the synergy is complete.

Any buyer would be crazy to pass up the package of TT, arm, and cartridge.

For my second arm I have the IKEDA 407 12" with an IKEDA cartridge. That is the value of the two arm Brinkmann. You can also experiment.

And then, you will again find out how great the Brinkmann total package is!

There are very few in audio that can produce such synergy....

John