Phono Stage Question

While speaking with a fellow Audiogoner, the topic of how the capacitance "figure" is used mainly on MM/MI cartridges was brought up. This is where a change on the capacitance loading value affects the frequency response, especially on the high frequencies.

I was told that if my cartridge is a MC then I do not have to worry about this issue. However, if I own an MM/MI, then I need to have a phono stage that permits capacitance value changes.

I recently switched to an Ortofon Black, which is a 5mV output MM cartridge on my Music Hall MMF-7 TT. I am currently trying to break it in, and will be checking for proper VTA, etc. as hours are accumulated on this cartridge. I currently have this directly routed to a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated amp with an internal phono stage. When I switched cartridges to the higher output MM cartridge (as directed), I immediately started noticing distortion in the higher frequencies. Again, I now realize there will be a break in period and possible adjustments on the new cartridge, but my question goes beyond this area.

My question is this: Other than the EAR 324 at $5K, are there any other less expensive good phono stages that permit capacitance value changes (pF adjustments), all in an effort to limit distortion on MM/MI cartridges as I move forward?

Thanks for the help!
brentwoodleafale
I have a Graham Slee Elevator (step up device) which allows you to change the capcitance. But man, I don't hear any difference when I change the capacitance from the recommended setting for my cartridge.
I have this cart. Check your alignment and VTA. This cart likes to be tail on my setup or it gets a little spitty in the highs.

Setup right this is a very good cart.
Many thanks for everyone's responses. I will be making a slight adjustment to my VTA before moving forward with other suggestions. (That is, once I receive another VTA allen key that mysteriously disappeared from my Music Hall file).

Any suggestions for a replacement mat for this felt mat that comes with the TT?

Scott
Linn has a new mat that is suppose to make a big difference on the LP 12. It is about $25 or 30 from the Linn store on ebay. I am getting one but haven't done it yet.