Tips on Buying Quiet Quality sounding LP's

Is it just hit and miss when buying LP's that are quiet and really good sounding or should I be looking for a specific date, manufacturer etc.

What should I look for?

dev
Bummer.

I'm 55 and my ears still detect test tones to at least 15kHz. Paul's go significantly higher. Of course he hangs around by his toes and only flies out after dark.

Just how long do we have to wait before our records start sounding better, dammit?! LOL
I am 50 and have the same test record I had when I was 19 and it has only been played a few times since.

My system is totally different now than then, but way better in most every regard (I think).

At 19, I recall being able to hear everything up to the 20Khz test tone.

Last I tried about a year ago, I could only detect up to about 14khz or so as I recall. Absolutely nothing above that!

However, I am enjoying music on my system more than ever these days and I know my current system is leaps and bounds beyond what I had then.

So whether a blessing or a curse it is what it is?

There is an IMAX film on the human body that illustrates what happens to most all inside our ears over time in large screen high res format. Its analogous to what was described above regarding what the diamond stylus and dirt does to that plastic record. Is that ironic or what? Maybe there truly is a GOd that helps keep man's affairs, including vinyl listening parameters, in order!
In my experience, buying new LP's is an expensive risk. Sadly, the sound quality of at least 50% of new LP's I have purchased is simply awful. One example is Ray Brown's Soular Energy, on the Pure label with two "pretty" red LP's, is simply unlistenable with burned out highs. $50 wasted!!!

So my tip? Follow all the valuable advice already posted here and then hope for the best.

And, be sure to understand the return policy of your dealer.