Running an External Phono with a Hovland HP-100

Since the Hovland HP-100 already has a MC Phono built-in, is it possible to add an external phono, maybe one of the better Audio Research models?

I'd like to do a valid compare, say the internal Hovland v.s. the new Audio Research Reference Phono; is this possible?
stickman451
The internal phono section of the Hovland is very very good. Don't assume the Audio Research will sound better. It will sound different for sure but not necessary better. It will be a matter of taste so make sure you audition it yourself. Don't rush into buying based on others opinion.
I agree. I've heard the internal phono stage of the Hovland as well. It is fantastic and you will have to spend several $$$$ to top it.
Yeah.Unless you want all the bells and whistles on a big buck section (EAR 324.Aesthetixs Rhea,Manley Steelhead,AR PH&) etc you have a really good section according to Fremmer et al one of the best out there.If not cart swapping or using second deck and using something that matches it's gain why spend the money?I like to swap out stereo mono and use cheap cart for thrashed discs so a single section with adjustments or a multiple input make sense.But if I had one dcent L.O. MC I probaly would stick with what in there.
Chazz
I have the Hovland HP-100 with MC Phono Stage. Early this year I returned it to Hovland to have their new volume pot installed. They also modified and added updates to the unit, the phono stage in particular. The result was fantanstic with blacker backgrounds, much more open and transparent. If you overlook the fact that there is no loading or gain variability with the Hovland, it has a great integrated phono stage and world class after mods. Several audiophile friends were very impressed by the mods as well. Too bad they are now out of buiness.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty happy with the Hovland and especially happy with the phono. (I had the latest updates installed last year too)..

It is a shame that they are out of business; I'm hoping someone else will pick them up and continue the lines.

Has anyone compared their HP-100 to the HP-200? Is the 200 better or just 'different.' It is tempting since it has the remote and I bet that there will be many of them up for sale on the used market.