Bent Cant, Can't get azimuth right. Does it matter

Hello again,

I just got a new Benz Micro Gold for my scout and jmw-9 arm. When it arrived, the cantilever was bent slightly over to the left. I aligned using the vpi jig.
With the HI-FI news test record, I can track all the test tracks except the torture track 9. Everything sounds really good, and I am corresponding with Yip to get a mint lp sent out to me soon.

My problem is the azimuth set-up, track 5 side 2. Because the cartilever is bent slightly, in order to get the stylus perpendicular to the record I would have to tilt inward about 20 degrees! On the azimuth track, I can't get the output of the channels equal otherwise, but in all the tracking test tracks the output is identical?

My question is:

If the cartridge is tracking well (excellent) and I don't hear any distortion in my music, is having the azimuth perfect going to make a big audible difference?
I can always send it back to the dealer?

I added a photo of the cartridge to my system ( the photos need to be updated )

Any thoughts?
hanaleimike
To Raul, what you say re build quality is true and what you say regarding relying on what our years tell us is correct also but this depends very much on your level of experience and your ears. You have set up at least hundreds of cart/arm combinations and have a well trained ear. No disrespect to Hanaleimike but he and many others may rely on test records as they need some simple mechanical device to assist in determining correct alignment. Just what does correct alignment sound like? If something is not quite right where does one look for the cure? There are a number of adjustment parameters and things like test records assist with these adjustments when hands on practical experience or the assistance of a skilled tutor is missing.

Doesn't make what you say incorrect just that you have to remember where you are coming from is a different place to many others.
Update:

Benz sent me out a new cartridge, straight as an arrow. I installed it today, and there was a lot of "missing" information in the right channel with the bent cart. I am glad I sent it back, thanks. Now I have to wait for it to break-in again.
With any cartridge featuring a "bent" or "off-line" cantilever one should always remember that it is the cantilever (and of course ultimately the polished area of the stylus in position towards the grooved walls of the record...) that has to be aligned - NOT the cartridge body.
In an ideal world the outer lines of the cartridge body are absolutely parallel (or 90 degrees....) to the cantilever and can help to align precisely - but they are only an optical support for alignment.
Its never the carts body that has to be aligned.
Phaser and Dertonarm: Aligning the cantilever/stylus isn't the only parameter that needs some attention. If the cantilever is askew enough that it isn't aligned optimally within the cartridge generator then sound quality will suffer. The cantilever/stylus/groove AND the cantilever/cartridge body/generator need to be in alignment. There is probably a range of cantilever alignment within the cartridge that is acceptable but if the cantilever appears to be that far off then I consider the cartridge defective.

As Raul points out, if consumers accept poor quality construction then it isn't just the consumer that suffers. Manufacturers need to know of defective products so they can maintain quality standards. Obviously Benz-Micro agreed with you, Hanaleimike, since they replaced the cartridge.

Tom
Hi Tketcham,
I do agree completely. I had a case of a 'misaligned' cantilever, and the manufacturer conceded that the cart has an "VTA error" (I was riding VERY low from the onset).
BUT as you pointed out, this also had a very detrimental effect on the internal alignment, with the result that the cart when it was measured with test record and oscilloscope performed very badly.

How such product gets past the quality assurance of a respectable and renown manufacturer is telling not a good story in deed. It is also a reflection on customers that are prepared to pay thousands of $$$ for a faulty product -- and don't query it.
In my case it took 4 month! but it was eventually replaced with a new correctly aligned cart.

Greetings,