Need to be educated re: MC Step-up transformers

I recently purchased the EAR MC-4 Step-up transformer. I was having some noise problems with my analog rig. I spoke with Tim de Paravicini of EAR directly in the UK. He answered all the system matching questions and pronounced the MC-4 a fit with my system. He is very direct, extraordinarily knowledgeable, and seemed very sincere and honest.

I still don't understand the "How" though. Here's what I do understand and relayed to Tim:

1. I use the ClearAudio Stradivari, a MC at 0.7mV output.

2. Currently, my phono stage provides a total of 57 dB of gain: 20 in the MC mode using a JFET and 37 in the MM mode using all tubes. My tube line stage provides 12 dB of gain SE, which is how I run it. So, currently without the MC-4, I have a total of 69 dB gain when running my phono stage in MC mode (20 + 37 + 12).

3. The MC-4 has four taps – I was told by Tim to use the 40 ohm tap which provides a 10x gain in voltage and is compatible with the 32 ohm impedance of my cartridge. This would change the output voltage my phono stage “sees” from 0.7mV to 7.0mV.

4. The phono stage must be run in MM mode, bypassing the JFET in the MC mode.

5. Given all this, then, my phono stage will receive as input a 7.0mV cartridge output from the MC-4. This signal will run through the MM mode and receive 37 dB gain and then another 12 dB gain from the line stage SE for a total of 49 dB gain, down from 69 dB, as we are no longer “gaining” the additional 20 dB from the JFET MC mode.

6. I need to remove the 600 ohm Vishay resistors and get the phono stage back to the stock 47 kohm setting, as the MC-4 will reduce the resistance by the square of the voltage gain or 10^2 or 100: 47,000/100 = 470. That is within the range recommended by Clearaudio of 320 – 900, preferably toward the lower end, though let your ears be your guide.

It was based on this information (which I provided) that the MC-4 was pronounced a fit - I certainly don't doubt that.

Here's my confusion: Am I to understand that 7.0mV of cartridge output from the MC-4 is so much more voltage that all I need is the 49 dB the system provides in its new configuration for low noise and analog bliss?

I just don’t understand the science, I guess. I appreciate the education.

Brent
128x128flyfish2002
Ive been experimenting with sut's and loading on my stradivari for a little over a year now. The clearaudio rep I spoke with recommended around a 400 ohm load with a transformer. Im now using a 1:10 step up into 47k which yields 470 ohm load which in my system seems ideal. I think the down stream components will make a big difference in determining optimal loading, especially your speakers.
Thanks. Garth Lear of Musical Surroundings had suggested 300 - 400 for the Stradivari.

My speakers are 85dB sensitivy and 4 ohm - may be the culprit.

Good listening.
Hi Flyfish2002,
seems you are NOT the only one that uses a somewhat 'wacky' SUT setup e.i. going over the top with the input voltage, etc.

I finally got my NEW Ortofon Windfeld back and was trying it, something just didn't gel when I used the SUT as I had it with the old one, which had an 'VTA error' according to Ortofon --- it sat very low, etc.

Following a hunch, I removed the 13ohm primary loading resistor from the SUT --- just to see what would happen. I be darned, it works VERY WELL without. In theory I'd be overloading the MC input but it looks like I don't. Also I recall that with the old cart, voices seemed too recessed in the stage, none of that either now.

My current thinking is, that since an SUT is an 'impedance-converter', it would AMPLIFY not only the voltage but also any problem with a cart.

Go figure - and enjoy the music.
Axel
Sorry for jumping into the discussion, the main subject was never clear to me, even after reading many posts and detailed explanation on vinylengine article for example.
I have Fidelity Research AGT-5X SUT, which can accept loading of the carts from 3 to 10 ohms, with respective gain from 31 to 29 db. If I look at the carts produced at the time SUT was made, carts by FR, they all fall into 3 to 10 ohms load impedance (with 2 carts as exception), which would make a lot of sense to me - mfrg making SUT to fit their carts, why would they make incompatible SUT at all (I presume that they making SUT primarly for their carts, not just for the market).
Now I have Transfiguration Phoenix, which has impedance of 7 ohms, and requires loading higher than 7 ohms. That should almost perfect match between SUT and cart.
But I am reading not for the first time about 3X or 10X rule of thumb ratio between cart impedance and SUT loading, which makes me confused again.
My Phono stage is Audion Phono (which requires impedance of 47 kOhm which SUT has), volume of playing at the same level as say from CD, not different.

Can someone clarify?
Hi Salavat,
your Phoenix has 0.4mV output, yes?
A 30 dB SUT has a 31.6:1 voltage ratio. Therefore 0.4mV*31.6 = 12.64mV output of SUT secondary to your phono-pre ---- and that will pretty surly OVERLOAD your phono-pre input stage, usually starting to overload already if the above calculation gets to ~ 8.5mV

So, before you want to work on the impedance side of things, the first thing is to make sure you will not get into OVERLOADING the phono-pre input --- all else comes next.
Mid spec for phono-pre input is actually 4.7mV. Check any MM/MI cart output and it will give you a pretty good idea what seems an acceptable range: 3mV - 6mV, so 12.6mV is too much by far.
Only if you consider SUT primary or secondary resistive loading will this value it come down somewhat, but not enough by far for the above example.

Greetings,
Axel