Dedicated phono-pre for MM only?

Hi All,
the subject of phono-pres, specifically 'adapted' to MM came up in some related postings.

IF, and only if, MMs are much to ones liking --- why spend your buck on some 'halve backed' 60dB plus, MC gain requirement, stage? Why not consider put the $$$ into a TOP 40dB gain stage of either SS or tube?

Raul had more thoughs on the subject as he mentioned before, and might share, why he knows that a TOP MM compared to MC stage circuit requirement might NOT be -one suit fits all-.

There could even be a nice argument to fit a tube gain stage only into an otherwise SS only system!?

Again, the $buck saved on the 20dB plus circuitry could be translated into the BEST circuit for an MM.
I realise, that most such stages were simply fitted inside some older TOP pre-amps, (e.g. Jadis...).
I have not come across a **dedicated** , current 40dB stage neither in nor outside a pre-amp.

Thank you,
Axel
axelwahl
Hi Kirkus,
thank you.
??? >>> ...without re-opening the whole SUT/non-SUT debate. <<<

Not aware of that debate. Is there a thread I can look up you'd recall?

At least as far as MMs are concerned: THERE IS NOT DEBATE ABOUT SUTs :-)
Axel
Kirkus,
since I was rather too curious, I did some back-tracking on the subject in some related A'gon threads. What I come up with is, for best sound for the $$$:

1) 'affordable' phono-stage with MM
2) good stage with MM
3) good stage with SUT and MC
4) top stage with MC

2) and 3) mybe on par, and MC = LO MC > 0.4mV

Raul has his take on what comprises a 'good' stage (3160)and 0.01dB deviation in RIAA --------- other then the one he uses, I've never as yet seen one measured that could do this.
So I can at best call my own lot 'affordable'. ML claims +/- 1dB deviation, my previous GCPH claimed 0.25dB deviation.
Interestingly, the ML sounds better, and maybe due to using the 326S power supply.

Also some other acclaimed stages do rather poorly in this particular measurement.

More food for thought?
A.
I noticed earlier that someone recommended Juicy Music. They are very very good, but unfortunately Mark has retired but will still service all of his equipment.
Hi, Raul, I was wondering about the design of the 3160: What level of gain is bult into the LOMC side of the preamp? It seems that 60 dB or so is the typical level of gain for many (most?) LOMC stages and I was curious what you use in the 3160. Thank you for your time.

Tom
Dear Tom: Yes we use 60 db too in the MC phono stage circuit and we can get, on the whole/overall Phonolinepreamplifier, ( changing the line stage gain ) easy 90 db, I never have the necessity to go to a higher total gain.

Normally 60 db is enough for almost any LOMC cartridge. I own the Ortofon MC- 2000 that is very low output ( 0.05 mv. ) and I can handle very good with very low noise/distortions, yes the Esential attenuators has to be around 3.0 o'clock for around 83-84db on SPL in my system.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.