Dedicated phono-pre for MM only?

Hi All,
the subject of phono-pres, specifically 'adapted' to MM came up in some related postings.

IF, and only if, MMs are much to ones liking --- why spend your buck on some 'halve backed' 60dB plus, MC gain requirement, stage? Why not consider put the $$$ into a TOP 40dB gain stage of either SS or tube?

Raul had more thoughs on the subject as he mentioned before, and might share, why he knows that a TOP MM compared to MC stage circuit requirement might NOT be -one suit fits all-.

There could even be a nice argument to fit a tube gain stage only into an otherwise SS only system!?

Again, the $buck saved on the 20dB plus circuitry could be translated into the BEST circuit for an MM.
I realise, that most such stages were simply fitted inside some older TOP pre-amps, (e.g. Jadis...).
I have not come across a **dedicated** , current 40dB stage neither in nor outside a pre-amp.

Thank you,
Axel
axelwahl
I personally have not heard any MM cartridge in my system since I stopped using my Grado TLZ in favor of some MC cartridge (probably a Sumiko BluePoint, originally), about 2 decades ago. I have nothing much to go on except Raul's opinions.
Lewm
>>> probably a Sumiko BluePoint, originally <<< oh, oh, :-) but that's also an MC?

about time if you get a bit restless to check on MMs, I say...

I have listened to A&R P77, Empire S1000 ZE/X, Shure V15 III VN35MR, Elite EEI 500, AT-140LC, and some bottom of the line AT with conical stylus (not actually much more than the $20 you pay for it).

All this has confirmed for me in my system everything that Raul is on about.

I have also had in my system, DV 20X-L, DV 10x5, Kontra-Punkt A, Jubilee, Windfeld, Dorian, Transfiguration Axia, Orpheus what I recall.

I mention this as I can not lay claim to some 100 plus carts MC and MM, Raul is working with.
Yet, other than that el cheapo $20 AT basic --- every MM was more fluid, musical, and had more 'magic' (for lack of a better word) in my system than ANY of the mentioned MCs.

This obviously made me wonder why?!

Raul, thinks it's just by the nature of the different construction that, given a decent phono-pre, make that difference.

What I'm learning also, there seem NO 'special' MM phono-pres in today's offerings, as all are -can do MM too-.

What I was looking for is a MM stage, differential, floating RIAA, tube, 100, 75 50 (47)k ohm input impedance, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500pF C loading. XLR outputs, Differential (wired) RCA inputs.
No such a thing for only up to 40dB for all I can see.

My current boards are, differential, SS (op-amps 2x) 1 for 40dB plus on for 69dB, no C loading (OK two parallel binding posts), 47k ohm only impedance. It sound pretty good, as it uses the clean power of the ML326S' power supply and is INSIDE the pre-amp.

So, I guess all there is, is to find some 'oldie' pre-amp? Not so sure I actually want to change my 326S (to darn convenient :-)
--- End of enquiry? Could well be...

"At least nobody can say I haven't tried"
Axel
Axel, What I wrote was that the Sumiko Blue Point was probably my FIRST MC cartridge, back in the late 80s or early 90s. I got away from that pretty quickly. Then I owned Benz Glider, followed by a Transfiguration Esprit and then the Esprit II, only one at a time in succession over a period of probably more than a decade. These were all mid-price HOMCs, and in retrospect neither one "rang my bell". (I would never have thought of either spending more than $1000 for a cartridge OR buying a used one.) Then about 5 years ago, I bought a Koetsu Urushi (via my son in Tokyo), which was a total revelation vs those others. I now own the Urushi, an Ortofon MC7500, and a van den Hul Colibri (both of the latter purchased used off A'gon). I have not yet heard the Colibri. Of course, now I have 3 turntables, too. You could say that the disease vinylosis is advancing in severity as I get older.
Well Lewm,
thank you for sharing. Now with 3 'tables why not give a NICE MM a try and let us hear what would be your finding.

It could be most interesting (didn't say rewarding... :-) to have another take by someone of your long standing anlogue background. If only to have some more prespective, and for under $1000 it be just as well :-)
Thanks,
Axel
Hi Axel and Lew. I'll go out on a limb and recommend a unit I've not yet heard. One of my local audio buddies (he introduced me to Raul, literally during a visit) who has since built up a stable of at least two dozen MM carts uses a phono stage from Emotive Audio. Apparently the good folks at EA, while normally designing tube gear, feel nothing they've found betters this ss design. I hope to hear it for myself soon as my friend is a very observant listener.

Since the JLTi was mentioned, I'm using one with a custom, fully regulated power supply. It offers selectable 40/60 dB output so is not a dedicated unit but has beat out a few other ss and tube phono units with my Grado Reference.

Your findings should be interesting so I'll keep watch of this thread.