SME V arm: dynamic VTF or straight weight

I am using an SME V arm and wonder if anyone has compared the sound using the dynamic VTF (i.e. setting the dial to 2.0g) versus setting the dial to 0.0g and simply using the counterweight and an accurate scale to set VTF at 2.0g. Is there a sonic difference and what is the theory behind one versus the other?

I would think that using the latter method moves the counterweight closer to the arm's pivot point and effects how the bearing is loaded and possibly also the moment of enertia of the arm.

I have briefly tried to hear a difference, but couldn't and plan to do a more controlled comparison. Anyone's own experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peter
peterayer
Dear Peter, the SME V is VERY rigid and has good energy transmission. The PC-1 is not that heavy and the SME V is a 9" tonearm with fairly loss mass at the end of the lever (the armtube widens towards the bearing - very good to lower effective moving mass and enhance rigidity).

Your settings seems fine to me - especially the antiskating being only 1/2 value of the VTF.

Enjoy your music,
Daniel
Dear Axel, the DL-103 is a very simple cartridge with a lousy body. There have been a number of body modifications in the past 30 years - some by Denon, some by others. There even are several lead-body DL-103 around.

The compliance of the DL-103 is sometimes mentioned with 5 dyne, but it is usually 7-9. It is definitively "softer" compared to SPU or FR-7 cartridges. Todays DL-103 are ever increasing in compliance.

The DL-103 ws usually used in radio stations with fairly heavy and unsophisticated headshells. They added the mass missing in the DL-103's body. The DL-103 was once designed by Denon for their broadcast division and severed in japanese radio stations for over 30 years. It was mounted in those fairly heavy headshells and fitted to Denon tonearms with headshell adapter. The low body mass had no influence, as the headshell used was so heavy.
Dear Peter: Now that you already try both VTF " ways " you have the opportunity ( on both ) to make a very fine tunning with the VTF set-up you like it more and through tiny VTA changes try to be near on the other sound characteristics that you like in the other VTF set-up, as a fact you can do it in both VTF ways.

Almost always exist a threshold ( very tiny but exist. ) where ( in some frequency range ) tiny VTA changes does not alter the main sound characteristics and through these VTA very tiny changes you can achieve an important improvement.

Btw, I don't own the PC-1 but I already have it in my system ( from a friend ) and I loaded at 100 Ohms with very good results.
In two other systems where I heard the PC-1 were loaded at 100-150 ohms ( no SUT, active gain. ). I understand that your Pass is an active gaing design, right?. Do you already try to eun your PC-1 at 100-150 ohms? and with no AS or only 0.5? . These are interesting alternatives and person/system dependents on its result levels.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Peter: That threshold that I'm speaking is : through our each one ear/brain perception.

Raul.