Micro Seiki RY-5500 motor noise repair pdf

I recently acquired a wonderful turntable, the Micro Seiki RX-5000. I found there is scant information available on the Internet about this vintage 'table, and when I encountered some noise issues with my RY-5500 motor unit and discovered how to fix it, I thought it would be beneficial make a set of instructions freely available. Go to the following URL and click on the page icon to view and download these instructions. Enjoy!

http://web.me.com/kip/ry5500
kipdent
Thanks so much Kip for this support. After a while the motor can get a bit noisy and I believe I messed up my motor by following "informed advice" to oil the spindle shaft because it was noisy and then I ended up having to find a tech in Japan to fix it. Now I have a local tech just about finishing work on putting it all back together because I was shorting out the board somewhere and your pic is very helpful to other users. A true Audiogoner!

Steve
I am happy to hear this information is useful! I'll be posting some more experiences about things I've learned soon, including some stuff on the HS-80 High Speed Inertia unit flywheel. I feel a calling to get as much information as possible about these 'tables out into the ether. :-)

Yes, T-bone, I am xy.
BTW Kip, those Scintilla's in your system look fabulous. I have been messing around with a pair of Stages, great midrange, but their limited size defines real low end output. Bigger Apogees are on my list, and thinking about Magggies as well. I really miss my old ESL-63's for accuracy and spacious lifelike presentaion, but they had limitations.

On the RX-5000, one item that I would like to share more on is effective isolation of the base and motor unit. So far, a sprung solid wood base, has given the best results over granite, rock maple, or a sandbox. I will try and post a pic tonight. I would like to try the machine dynamica springs shortly.

Steve
Steve--

Thanks for your reply. I am beginning to learn that proper isolation is something I really need to explore for the Micro 'table, so any help you can provide would be very welcome!

Kip
Kip,
In the past, I have had some success using laboratory equipment isolation equipment (Herz, Kinetic Systems (the makers of Vibraplane), Shima-Koki, etc). This lowers the resonant frequency of the TT base to 2-3Hz in both the horizontal and the vertical plane. The air suspensions require 'maintenance' (filling/topping up the bladders every now and then) but it's easy. If you go for the truly active suspensions, they cost a fair bit more money (though some swear by them). They can be found used on 'that other auction site' for a lot less than new.