Micro Seiki RY-5500 motor noise repair pdf

I recently acquired a wonderful turntable, the Micro Seiki RX-5000. I found there is scant information available on the Internet about this vintage 'table, and when I encountered some noise issues with my RY-5500 motor unit and discovered how to fix it, I thought it would be beneficial make a set of instructions freely available. Go to the following URL and click on the page icon to view and download these instructions. Enjoy!

http://web.me.com/kip/ry5500
kipdent

Showing 4 responses by radicalsteve

Thanks so much Kip for this support. After a while the motor can get a bit noisy and I believe I messed up my motor by following "informed advice" to oil the spindle shaft because it was noisy and then I ended up having to find a tech in Japan to fix it. Now I have a local tech just about finishing work on putting it all back together because I was shorting out the board somewhere and your pic is very helpful to other users. A true Audiogoner!

Steve
BTW Kip, those Scintilla's in your system look fabulous. I have been messing around with a pair of Stages, great midrange, but their limited size defines real low end output. Bigger Apogees are on my list, and thinking about Magggies as well. I really miss my old ESL-63's for accuracy and spacious lifelike presentaion, but they had limitations.

On the RX-5000, one item that I would like to share more on is effective isolation of the base and motor unit. So far, a sprung solid wood base, has given the best results over granite, rock maple, or a sandbox. I will try and post a pic tonight. I would like to try the machine dynamica springs shortly.

Steve
Hello Raul ..........

I have had both the AT-616 and EquaRacks on the 5000 and I would give the nod to the EquaRack, although the AT-616's are very good and clearly superior to cone type devices.

Nevertheless, experimentation to date a DIY has a compression spring base in the lead position for the most effective isolation system. I a hoping that the machina dynamica spring system will give a benchmark comparison.

I am a firm believer that effective isolation of the RX-5000 is very important as there are lots of inherent internal resonances from the chassis, platter and arm board interfaces. They must have an impact on sound - as does the wood and resins used in a violin define its tone n'est pas?

Steve