Is there a better table than S. Scoutmaster Ref ?

Here is the question:
Is there a turntable out there that is better or just as good as the fully decked out Super Scoutmaster Reference w/Rim drive, that costs less money?
It seems that the weak point of the VPI SSM Ref may be the arm. Perhaps there are tables out there for less money that have better arms that sound and perform better?
jbcello
'Better' is highly subjective. There are those who would say Walker, Linn, and many others are 'better' to their tastes and systems.

What you like is best.
Leave the Linn out of this, as far as a competitive design. Its day is gone and there are much better designs and the VPI is one of them.
I have the SSM ref with rim drive and I really enjoy it but I am growing tired of being limitted to only one arm option. I am therefore planning to buy a multiarm capable table(likely Galibier). The SSM performs quite well. The build quality is good but others tables are built to tighter tolerances(albeit usually at a higher cost) One make to check out in a similar price range would be the Galibier Gavia or Serac with your choice of arms. Probably more table for the money though I'm by no means badmouthing the VPI.
"nothing on the planet"? better is "highly subjective"? THATS A BIG NO! when you compare a walker tt to any vpi tt. the walker is simply one of if not the best there is. just not in the price range of the vpi. i have owned several vpi's including their top of the line hrx. in their price range they make a very good unit. not a fan of the rim drive though, certainly not "the best on the planet". i would bet a few years from now they will be out of favor and no one will won't them. the arm is not a weak part either, it is a simple a direct aproach, not over complicated and for this set up, a good fit. you definitely could do a lot worse.
The rim drive's major advantage is that it gets you away from the nitrile belts VPI has been using and that is a significant improvement. Others have converted their VPIs to string or tape drive and acheive a similar advantage.
Koegz is right, you definitely could do a lot worse but when you get to this price point you owe it to yourself to check out other options. I mentioned the Galibiers. Another very good contender would be the TW Acustic Raven One. Both of these tables allow the flexibility to try one or more world class tonearms.
Having said all that, if you ended up with the SSM Ref you would have a thoroughly enjoyable source. I'm still playing mine every day and miss it when I don't get the chance.