Does anyone really need to spend 10k on power

Conditioning. I was on another website and they were discussing Intimately about a power conditioner set up that cost 10k. In the 10k I am not Including power cords. They went on and on about it being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I read this 2 days ago and it's been haunting me ever since. I'm not saying power conditioning doesn't help. I'm sure in some cases it does. But it being the greatest thing since sliced. I think that is ridiculous. I really believe that in today's market a person could buy used gear on Audiogon and come up with a first rate system for 10 to 15k.

I think in this hobby people get crazy and spend obscene amounts of money because they can. I think they would be better off getting young people into this hobby before it dies. Hell, If they want to piss away money set up a college fund for people that play music or want to learn music theory. (Actually that's not pissing away money) Spending 10k on power conditioning is pissing away money.
taters
It's worth it if you can hear it and you can afford it. It you can't hear it, you're a fool if you buy it. You're also a fool if you assume nobody else can hear it because you can't.
Chayro,
Exactly!
High end audio is such a good example of free market freedom. If it's worth
it in your opinion you buy it . If it isn't worth it then you simply don't buy and
move on. I wouldn't spend $40,000. for an audio component but have
absolutely no problem with those who do, why on earth would I? I don't
agree with calling this level of spending insanity either, why is it insane? Is
it insane to have a 10, 000 SF. home with 40 ft boat docked out back on
your waterfront property? Or is 5, 000 SF.home with a 25 ft boat the line that
separates sane from insane?
I'd only have a major issue if we were forced to purchase something we
didn't want and aren't given any choice to say no. That's insanity in my
opinion. As long as we as individuals get to make the call for ourselves I'm
perfectly fine with people deciding themselves . We are adults after all.
Pffft. There's a discussion on this site about people who are spending $3000 for a box of dirt that plugs into their gear.

It's their prerogative.

Hell, I just spent $5,000 for a pair of output transformers for my latest project. Does that make me a bad person?
The answer is NO! I saw and heard the solution to AC Power issues and the web site is: controlledpower.com A friend installed a 400lb isolation transformer (very small footprint by the way) from this company who builds then for the computer industry and it is amazing and is much cheaper than a $10k power conditioner filled with a bunch of filters. This thing installed cost him around $4500 and he will never have to worry about power surges, spikes, sags, etc in his power delivery or concern of equipment ever being damaged. He had an electrician run a 220v to this unit; it then converts to 120v and send power to his subpanel with his circuit breakers controlling the 20amp dedicated lines running to the AC outlets powering his top of the line Dartzeel pre and mono blocks. Because the transformer is in the room near his subpanel there is absolutely no noise. This is the answer to all our needs if we are in homes where this can be done. You will hear the difference; I did. I have heard this system prior to this upgrade and this was worth every penny.
Hifimaniac, What you just mentioned makes a lot more sense than some fancy looking boxes with some snake oil science.