Reel to Reel

This may sound like a dumb question, but what the heck !!!
I have always wanted a R to R, just to play around with.

But I have to ask, what do you guys do with your machines ? What do you play or tape ?

Recently, I was told locally where a lot of refurb R to R are sold, that a lot of people record CD to them ?

Just curious ?

Wayne
waynefia
This week a friend sold me about 200 pre recorded tapes that look like they are from the 50's and 60's, mostly classical (most of them appear to be 7-1/2 ips 4 track, but meaning 2 tracks in 2 directions). They are good labels, everest, rca, mercury, columbia, vangaurd, some odd obscure labels etc). I've had some decks in the past but haven't had anything for some time, after reading this thread and the other thread on rtr I couldn't stand it and bought a nice tascam 34 locally (well maintained unit in a local home studio). With the tapes and the deck I'm into it about $360 which to me is a great deal considering what that breaks down to per tape (with the deck thrown in). I just set it up and it sounds wonderful and is a great to have this library of material to explore.
It turns out a good number of the tapes in the collection I bought are 2-track, so will have to upgrade the deck (after looking them over more carefully they are mostly 2 track from the 1950's). Should have waited to get a deck with 2 and 4 track heads (included with the tapes were a handful of 2 track tube decks..ampex 960, 936, viking, concertone, miranda, I might just try to get one going in the meantime).
I had passed on an otari mx5050 bii on craigslist (non-working for $60, after talking with the owner it sounded like he knew how to work the deck and it didn't work). So today decided to call again and buy the deck (thinking maybe I could fix it) and got it home and it works fine! Will clean it up and make or get some proper cables and probably get it aligned/biased etc.
Thanks Sam, I'm going to look for another 2 track deck so I can dub the old 2-track tapes. Would like a technics rs1500 (had one once), just have to be patient.