ELP Laser Turntable & Trickle Down

ELP LASER TURNTABLE as most vinyl fans know is a turntable that uses a laser instead of a more conventional stylus. I read reviews on the audio critic site and out of the two reviewers the one who had a very high end table and arm combo,chose the ELP laser table this conventional combo. I am wondering why this technology has not trickled down the way Cd has with companies paving the way for cheaper machines and improving over time while becoming cheaper as the technology matures?
schipo
Vinyladdict, The ELP is not digital. It is analog. The issue is not record where, although you can read lower in the groove to avoid damage previously caused by styli. The issue is the laser having no mass and tracing the groove accurately.

Also, you must not have priced turntables, arms, and cartridges lately.
I stand corrected after some research - it is, indeed analog. I still don't get it though... and while I admit you CAN spend $10k+ on analog gear (hell, I could spend $100k... well, I couldn't, but you get my point) I still stand my original statement that $10k will by one hell of an analog rig.
Vinyladdict, I think this is an entirely different issue. Of course, you can get a great tt, arm, and cartridge for $10K but the ELP is not outrageously expensive. I do have a Shindo Labs vinyl system that costs a good deal more and have had the chance to buy an ELP at a very good price but still couldn't pull the trigger. I know too many who have had them in their systems and still listen to other tts.

Actually, I wonder if ELP were redesigned to be digital, would it perform better. I doubt if we will ever find out.
Vinyladdict wrote:
Is record wear really that big of a concern anymore? I know I don't concern myself with it.
Record wear is always a consideration. The laser turntable never got off the ground because it was necessary to keep your records scrupulously clean and its sound quality could have been better. Additionally, the ELP unit is complex.

A key to reduced record wear, outside of cleaning your records, is ensuring correct azimuth adjustment (VTA, tracking force, etc. also are important) to maximize contact area, rewarding the listener with greater channel separation and reduced phase error, noise, and distortion.
Of course, Essentialaudio - that was exactly my point! If you've got a PROPERLY aligned modern stylus I don't see why anyone would be concerned a bit with worries of record-wear.

The complexity point you make is right on target and why I just don't understand why anyone would want to run one. Perhaps if I heard one in action I would "get it" - but as I stand if I were spending $10k on an analog setup, it would not be on my list.