Rega P3-24 Vs VPI Scout.

With these tables being so very close in price... which is the better table? I listen to classic rock, alt, indy, a tiny bit of jazz. I also have B&W speakers(if that helps.) oh and this is my first turntable... Not really sure what is going on.

These tables are loved by almost everyone... I can't seem to put one above the other. PLEASE HELP!
craw13
Hi Stringreen - I have no doubt that you are correct, but I think this applies to any turntable out there. The VPI tool is nice to have and will be a good starting place, and due to ease of use, will likely result in better setup than using a basic 3rd party protractor... but yeah, I'm sure there are more precise tools out there. I'm considering the Mint as well.
I'm, frankly, surprised at the responses here...

If it's a choice between the Scout and ANY Rega for ROCK - what the original poster indicated was his genre of choice - there's no contest in my mind, get the Rega.

Rega's are stellar with rock, it's what they do best.

Now, I'll throw something else that will no doubt be controversial, but the hands down, no contest, best rock and jazz table I've ever owned is the KAB Technics SL-1200.

For the price of the P3-24, you can get a KAB SL-1200MK2 with Cardas tonearm wire and fluid damper and still have enough cash to add a really nice cartridge. That's what I run - with a Dynavector 20XL into a PS Audio GCPH and I wouldn't trade it for the world - especially with my rock and jazz collection!
A Technics! really?!

And you think the rega delivers a better sound even though its a "cheaper" build?

I think that I am currently leaning toward the VPI(seems like the better value)... However, I realize that I don't get the concept of the rega or scout being better at one type of music than the other...
Well, not just a Technics - a KAB mod'd Technics. Although the stock SL-1200 is shockingly good stock. With KABs tonearm rewire and the KAB fluid damper there's no question I'd choose it over either the Scout or Rega.

As far as one table working better for one genre versus another. No matter what you spend, analog is a game of compromises. The type of music is going to determine, in my opinion, what compromises are going to work best. Classical music is going to demand a very quiet background. Rock is going to demand PRAT and drive. Piano jazz, rock solid speed stability, etc. You get the point I'm sure.

The Rega has great PRAT and the Scout very black background and they both have pretty good speed stability for a belt drive in this price range. The reason I love the KAB SL-1200 is that I mostly listen to rock and jazz. The KAB has unbeatable speed stability - world class at this price point - and it has fantastic PRAT too. It's not quite as quiet as the Scout in my opinion but damn close.

Let me put it this way. I've owned Rega, VPI, JA Michell, Roksan, etc and I still have the KAB in my main system. I'm sure that there will be many who disagree but I'd give Kevin at KAB USA a call before I spent a dime.

Just my 2 cents!
Post removed