How will XLR cables vs RCA effect a phono pre

I have an TNT V with SME IV type 6 tonearm with a Sumiko Sho cartridge that is a high output at 47K ohms and the output voltage is 2.3 mV. I have had to move my turntable so the cable going to ARPH3SE is one meter, but the cable going to Krell Pre-Amp needs to be 2m. If I were to upgrade to another phono pre-amp, would I be better off looking for one with XLR connections? I notice that there are not a lot of phono-pre that have XLR. Why is this? Would I be better off with a battery pre that seems to be very quiet or bite the bullet and look at BAT or similar? Can someone explain the difference between using RCA or XLR cables on a turntable and phono pre-amp? Any help greatly appreciated.
adorfman
The XLR will give you 6db of additional gain and is theoretically more quiet. I use balanced inputs and outputs on my phono stage but models with both are harder to find. That being said, over a distance of 2 meters you probably won't notice a huge difference other than the increased gain.
I have configured my table to run balanced,to take full advantage of the Aqvox phonostage.All that is need is to parallel the arm-ground to be used as the "ground" on each XLR.The cartridge is naturally "balanced",the "+" being non-inverted and the "-" being inverted.
Using a phono cartridge as a balanced source is something that was first done by Atma-Sphere, in 1989 with the MP-1 preamplifier, which also has a fully differential phono section.

You do *not* get more gain with the cable- you get less noise, and less artifact from the cable itself.
Dear Adorfman: As Atmasphere point out there is no more gain ( you have more gain only when your IC balanced connections goes from preamp to ampliifer ) but less noise/distortion ( between other things ).

Now if you are thinking on a phono stage change IMHO it will be a good time to eliminate those IC ( cables ) that makes a cartridge signal degradation and buy a fully balanced active gain Phonolinepreamp ( integral unit ).

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
The XLR will give you 6db of additional gain and is theoretically more quiet..

I confirm .. not theoretically!
I used RCA cables between my Whest Audio 30RDT and the Pass X1 preamp and lately the same cable but Balanced and now I have more audible gain (4db not 6)and more quiet or better less audible blow from the tweeter even if the 30RDT is silent like a fish also by RCA