Mintlp

A quick question. I bought the mintlp for my Scout but due to work and the holidays I haven't had time to work with it yet. Tonight I put it on the spindle and set the needle down just to see what I was dealing with. I clearly see about a 5 degree counterclockwise difference, maybe more, from what the mintlp says I should have and what it's set at now. I see this looking at the lines on the mintlp and comparing that to the front edge of the cartridge body. Would that be considered a huge difference?
My plans are to set aside a couple of hours this weekend to set it up correctly. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Ag insider logo xs@2xkmulkey
I personally believe Mint's best advice is to be patient. I have done this three times now on the dame setup, with increasing amounts of anality and been stunned EVERY time. I believe that Stringreen said every time you think you've got it right, take a break and recheck. Your ears will love you for it. The difference on my Scoutmaster was huge when compared to the VPI jig.
the setup was done by the dealer when I bought the table..

The Dealer is no-fault , I saw many setting cartridges with the templates inside the TTs or arms and swear the set-up was perfect.
I trust them .. the problem is the impossibility to get the perfection with those templates.
VPI uses a proprietary, single null-point-jig to align the carts on the JMW series arms. I say 'proprietary' since HW has seemed unwilling to release any specifics on how it came to be, though I believe it's meant to skew the inevitable tracking compromise towards lower distortion on the inner grooves.

My experience has been that an arc protractor will provide more satisfying results, but at any rate, you need to learn how to mount a cartridge, for at least two reasons:

*Unless you have a dealer who will come to your home, and mount and adjust the cart on the turntable where it will be permanently situated, and said dealer has a long and revered reputation for doing exacting work, you're (much) better off doing it yourself.

*You shouldn't be going a year without checking your cart adjustment
Thanks again. I had no idea that I needed to check my cartridge alignment annually. Makes sense but I just had never given it any thought.