Turntable on a $5k budget?

I'd like to give vinyl a try. I thought about starting with an inexpensive table but I think I may as well just buy once and be happy for a long time instead of upgrading later. I don't see why it wouldn't work out for me, I am willing to learn the proper setup just need a little guidance towards a good quality table and tonearm. I prefer a smooth, fatigue free sound over hyper resolution and detail.

I've listened to an SME 20/2 table with IV.Vi tonearm and I thought that was perfect for my taste but it is out of my budget. Should I be looking at suspended tables for that type of sound or is that not the deciding factor of how the table will sound overall?

The $5k is not the ceiling, I can extend my budget another $1500 for a tonearm on top of the table if the table is really that good.

I've read some reviews of the suspended tables such as Oracle, Sota and a few of non suspended such as Nottingham, Michell, Basis. Will any of the mentioned tables get me close to what I am looking for?

I am planning on using the phono stage of my McIntosh C500 preamp, it has both MM/MC phono stage. The rest of the system is McIntosh 501 monoblocks and Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento speakers.

Thanks in advance.
flyski
Rene has many good suggestions, and I agree with him 100%.
My advice after hearing many top-flight table/arm/carts is to contact Jean Nantais and have him custom build a re-plinthed Lenco for you. These are truly high-end tables for much less cost.
Good luck!
Byron
Look for a used SME 10 w/ tonearm on Audiogon. You should be able to find one well within your budget. It should give you a good slice of what you experienced with the SME 20 Model IV tonearm combination. The table has outstanding build quality, and is fun and easy to set-up.
I agree with Sdrenslow. I'm very biased as I have a SME10 with SME V arm. It's the only component I have not upgraded. You should find one for under $4K here on Audiogon. You can always upgrade the arm, cable, cartridge later. It is very well made, and once it is set up, it stays that way. Excellent value. Good Luck.
I agree w/ Davt about budgeting for a decent record cleaning machine. Makes a very real difference.

I suggest a Sota Saphire with Shelter 501. Saw a little used Shelter 901 on A'Gon just the other day. Talk to the friendly folks at Sota for the best compatible arm for the money. Really can't go wrong with any of the recommendations made above.
I will chime in here with a different response. I would suggest that you go a little more inexpensive than most here have recommended, and that you buy new. You can get a Rega P5 with an Exact 2 cartridge, a Bellari VP 129 phonostage, and a Nitty Gritty Record Doctor 3 cleaning machine all for under $2500 total. This will be a very nice sounding set-up that you can explore the world of vinyl with, and all of it has very good resale value when you want to either upgrade or get out of it. In the meantime, you will save yourself quite a bit of money, which you can use to buy more records with. The music is ultimately more important than the equipment, anyway! Whatever you decide to do, I am sure you will not regret getting into vinyl. I will also second the Vinyl Asylum recommendation as well.