Ortofon 2M Black vs, Clearaudio Maestro

Just curious if anyone has compared these two cartridges and what their opinions are. Thanks. Bob
bobgates
Well, having only listened to only the Dynavector 20XH, I would not say that I like MC better than MM across the board. But I did like the 20XH better than the MM cartridges that I compared it with. I would certainly like to try out a Low output MC cartridge to hear how it sound compared to the 20XH, seeing that I am using a Modwright 9.0 SE phono stage. THis unit is great sounding and it has a lot of gain to support a low output MC cartridge.
Almandog; I've also heard from others that if you're considering the Ortofon 2M Black the Dynavector 20XH is a much better sounding cartridge in that same price range. My friend in Tampa tells me though that the Maestro is a big step up from the Virtuoso so hard to say how the Maestro might compare to the 20XH. Thanks for your comments.
So Bob, if I understand you correctly you're saying that in order of quality its the Maestro, Virtuoso, 20XH and then 2M?

I currently have a 20XL, and am considering a 2M Black, sounds like it may be a lateral or downward move?
I have my 2m black on a vpi scout. Before the black I had a virtuoso. Although both are fine carts, I like the black better with this particular turntable. I have a cj pv-15 tube preamp if that's helpful. The virtuoso I found to be a bit on the dry side. Great dynamics, more detail in the highs and mids, more air and extension The black sounds both warmer and with a bigger soundstage and more extended bass. Since I listen to a lot of jazz and rock those are important qualities.
Sabocat59
I have my 2m black on a vpi scout. Before the black I had a virtuoso. Although both are fine carts, I like the black better with this particular turntable. I have a cj pv-15 tube preamp if that's helpful. The virtuoso I found to be a bit on the dry side. Great dynamics, more detail in the highs and mids, more air and extension The black sounds both warmer and with a bigger soundstage and more extended bass. Since I listen to a lot of jazz and rock those are important qualities.

I wonder if this can be attributed to the 2M Black's removable stylus assembly? I own the Virtuoso, and one of the things I like about it is it doesn't seem to add anything extra of its own to the sound. I don't find it either recessed or forward, it just portrays what's on the record. This can be perceived as you say by "a bit dry". The Virtuoso has a fixed stylus assembly like an MC.

The 2M has a plastic cup that snaps into place which can perhaps be like a "resonator" and add a bit of warmth and create a bigger soundstage. Please note, I am not saying that is wrong. The 2M Black along with the Clearaudio Maestro and Virtuoso are most likely the best MMs available and I will probably buy a 2M Black as well when one comes along at a good price.