Ortofon 2M Black vs, Clearaudio Maestro

Just curious if anyone has compared these two cartridges and what their opinions are. Thanks. Bob
bobgates
02-07-09: Onetwothreego
The Maestro has better specs than the 2M Black. Channel Separation on the 2M is 26db and > 35db for the Maestro. Channel Balance on the 2M is 1db and .3db for the Maestro.
An interesting thing is that the much less expensive Audio Technica AT150MLX has specs closer to the Clearaudio: 30dB separation and .8dB channel balance. And it has a snap-in stylus as well (available for $179.95 from lpgear.com).

You can get an AT150MLX from J&R Music World for $250 shipped.

I like Ortofon cartridges, but I truly wonder how close the AT150MLX might come to it. It certainly presents more than a taste of high end cartridgitudedness.
Thanks Tayofiji and Onetwothreego for your thoughts. My friend Jon down in Tamap Florida has the Maestro on his VPI Scout and found it to be a big step up from the Virtuoso; of course he thinks I should get the Maestro. Presently though I am using the Ortofon 2M Bronze and find it to be a simply outstanding for a cartridge priced under $400; if the 2M Black is even better it must be quite exceptional. I've seen the 2M Black for $599 and am pretty much inclined to believe that the Maestro at $1000 is worth the extra $400. As the reviewer John Crossett stated in his Soundstage review he liked the 2M Black better than the more expensive Clearaudio Maestro.
>>As the reviewer John Crossett stated in his Soundstage review he liked the 2M Black better than the more expensive Clearaudio Maestro.<<

Actually, the review says the Maestro is the best MM he has heard:

Quote: The Ortofon 2M Black does a very good job of reproducing the music engraved in the grooves of your records. That it does so at about half the price of the best moving-magnet cartridge I’ve ever heard is icing on the cake.
Bobgates, I see the 2M Bronze is up for sale. Just wondering why you are letting it go and what you have planned for the future? I have no doubt the Bronze is a fantastic cart.