It is 5 AM, Do you Know where Mikey Fremer is?

At a garage sale, so Mikey tells us on his latest DVD. He must be the ultimate vinyl junkie, always looking for more, more, more. Are you part of his competition?

It appears the long ago, Mikey moved from one who just listens, to one who just collects for the 'just must have' but no time to listen school. Sad.

Does that describe you? What part of your music collection has never been listen to, 20%, 50%, more?
buconero117
The collection and preservation of vinyl is a completely harmless activity other than a tax on your wallet and living space (and maybe a stress on your marriage or living/romantic relationship).

If for nothing else, it keeps LPs from the past from being destroyed by those whom do not know or understand.

Think about it... Once upon a time, when consumer audio hardware went to solid state instead of tubes, people put exquisite tube equipment (and their exquisite tubes... think of little kids smashing BugleBoys and Teles for fun... yikes!) out to junk on the curb or in the trash... stuff many of us pay big money to own and use today.

The same is true for vinyl. People toss vinyl into yard and storage sales every weekend. Where it goes... no one knows... hopefully not to some DJ scratcher (no dissing intended)...

Even if you don't listen to it, so what? Even if you have duplicates, so what? You are the keeper, a librarian or custodian of this media, of a legacy that might easily transcend your collection and you. In all likelihood (at least I like to think so) someone else will be grateful for your care and diligence. jmo.

Hey, and Mikey is my hero, so leave-him-alone... knock-it-off!

:)

:) listening,

Ed
probably less than 1%.

those few are records I bought in lots, to get others, but for the most part I've given my 500+ records their deserved time on the platter.

Plus like many full time students part-time workers in college, I spent a disproportionate time listening to music than studying or working. Now that I'm based in the reality of 40-50 hr weeks at work, my consumption had dropped some. Maybe, I'll see this % rise, but I dont think so, I try to avoid having filler in my collection.
Good question. It turns out that Mikey's "in heavy rotation" concept describes what I've done for years. I thought I had about 2k records. Because of this thread I went to my collection and roughly counted 4K. Yet, there's about only 20 or so that are "in heavy rotation" at any one time. Those 20 do change and I do have my all time favorites (about 300). But 20 out of 4k at any one time? I probably wont live long enough to play all 4K. Still, I know I will find and still buy more. Strange hobby, but music is sooo gooood.
I truly believe that anyone who exhibits the traits in searching and caring for records are people who truly care for music. Michael Fremer is simply the most vocal of those that do that, myself included. I have about 4700 with about 1000 needing to be cleaned and listened to. Figure about 250 heavy rotation LP's in the most played stack. I like that when friends and family visit they rummage through the record rack as if in a music store, make a selection and I get to play music for them. From West Side Story, to Mozart, Ratt, AC-DC, Miles Davis, Some Gregorian chant stuff I acquired along the way, no matter what, it seems I always something that people want to hear. Afterwards, the visitors are left wondering how to get a record player in these modern electronic times or they offer remnants of their record collection for sale or donate.

Keep them records spinning, vinyl lives, 33 1/3 forever, and all off of that stuff, yeah, yeah.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life
Like Audioquest4life people donate albums to me, just last week another 200 or so albums including 20 by Joan Baez, came my way. A new acquaintance who wanted them to go to a good home and out of his garage. What more can one ask.