Platter Upgrade for Garrard 301

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my analog system to the next level up from my VPI scout. I've heard alot of talk about great performance from a Garrard 301 coupled with a upgraded plinth that I could buy from various sources, such as Oswald Mill Audio or Shindo, among others. However, I rarely hear about other upgrades for the Garrard. Isn't the platter a key component that should be a contender for an upgrade? I know Shindo makes such a platter, but they seem to be ultra expensive. There must be a less expensive alternative? Also, what other upgrades should I consider to a Garrard? Thanks, Mark
mcmprov
Mikelavigne. There is doubtless great beauty in and joy
from the artistic descriptions that we call literature.
But as Frege clirified to us there is some difference with,say, science.So he wrote hes 'Sense and reference' so
that an writer my compose an beatuful story about,say,
Pegasus without worry about the 'bearer' of this name
(aka the reference).So look with me,if you care,to the
beaty of the sentences Mike composed:
"but 'not fully satisfied'with the Rockport is not the
answer the question.curiosity and wanting to be involved
with a fun direction is most of it..."
I was realy moved and longed to join the club.
But then came an sentence with 'entailment' in logical
sence:'after I have fully experinced what Technics and
Garrard have to offer the we will see...'.
The 'entailment' is,it seems to me,the expectation,hope or
even the 'pretention' to surpass the engineers from Rockport by the force of hoping,so to speak.
I tryd to help the 'adventure' by providing some 'theoretical grounding' and refered to Lurne,an
physicist who wrote about 'design philosophy' for TT AND
the PLATTER but nobody was interested.
So my mind made some kind of an leap to an French cardinal
and 'the lady'.
The lady:'Sire is it an sin that I admire my own beauty
all day long?'
Richelieu:'ceartanly not my lady,ceartanly not.An illusion
is not a sin'.

Cheers
Nandric, Great post. You've added a little high class culture to my day. That Richelieu was a card. (Means "comedian" in English slang.) But don't worry about Mike; he knows very well what he is doing and why.
Lewn. I admire the capability of Mike to compose or produce
beautiful sentences (I assume he is an writer).
But the issue between us was the opposition between Rockport and Garrard 301 'project'.I.e. not about my
worry about Mike.
So we have the so-called 'initial conditions' or the state
of affairs at present.
Jean made a kind of contribution about(present) 'knowledge
and compability' but sayd nothing about the 'capability'.
Weisselk used the metaphor of the 'Baby and the Bathwater'
to warn about the 'Baby' (aka 'save the Baby).
So the 'picture' one can see or can deduce about the state
of affairs is,at least, very confused.
I used,so to speak, the logical approach and analysed the
statements made. So for me there was the implication that
the 'club' intends,hopes,etc to surpass the engeenirs who
made the Rockport without ,say, the necessary qualifications to realize such an project. I.e. those are
'mechanical matters' that must 'obey' phisical Laws and
are as such not something 'subjective' in the sense of
our 'intending','hoping for'.etc.
So x can hope that y in some garage can produce an better
platter then the engeneers by Rockport but this is,at least, very problematic.
BTW the issue is not about persons but about the arguments.
Cheers
But the issue between us was the opposition between Rockport and Garrard 301

Hummmmmm.

Nandric; i don't really see any issue between us. we are simply having fun enjoying communicating about wonderful tt's that make great music. for my part; i am lacking in both technical knowledge and the desire to aquire much technical knowledge. i am simply an observer of cause and effect.

i listen to the Rockport which has many interacting pieces and parts; one of which is the platter. however it does it; i hear more musical message communicated thru the Rockport than any other tt i have been exposed to. is that because of the 55 pound platter? i really do not care. one cannot substitute platters on the Rockport so we will never know cause and effect of that platter with any certainty. i suppose we can guess about it.

OTOH on the Garrard you can substitute a platter and therefore judge one against the other. which i plan on doing. is this a thing worth doing? for me yes; i am interested in seeing just how good the Garrard can be. to me it is an enjoyable and satisfying endevour to mess with the Garrard. i love the way it plays music. the damn thing is beautiful.

it does not need to compete directly with the Rockport; that issue is not significant to me. at some point in the future when i am at a point where i think the Garrard is optimized i will sit back and decide whether the Garrard is a 'very' long term keeper or not. but until then i'm going down this path.

understand; at the University i dropped out of my Classic Mythology class because the subject did not hold my attention sufficiently. i am but a simple man enjoying music and life.

best regards,
In other words, Nandric, messing about with platters is good, clean fun. Plus, having two turntables that both sound great but are qualitatively different from each other, is also fun.