Platter Upgrade for Garrard 301

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my analog system to the next level up from my VPI scout. I've heard alot of talk about great performance from a Garrard 301 coupled with a upgraded plinth that I could buy from various sources, such as Oswald Mill Audio or Shindo, among others. However, I rarely hear about other upgrades for the Garrard. Isn't the platter a key component that should be a contender for an upgrade? I know Shindo makes such a platter, but they seem to be ultra expensive. There must be a less expensive alternative? Also, what other upgrades should I consider to a Garrard? Thanks, Mark
mcmprov

I am anxious to hear Veterone's platter for the 301 as he really is in tune with the positive energy of this iconic turntable and how supremely musical it is.

I have never compared the plinths directly, with or without whisky, that is why I didn't offer an opinion, but it sounds like it would be a fun event.

As for the Walker, it is a great turntable, but for me it was time to move on to other experiences. I am finalizing the installation of a Fidelity Research FR 66S on a Technics Sp 10 mk III and Koetsu Coralstone.
Nandric;

......are outdated TT and more the objects of 'nostalgia' than something else.

if one has as a reference a current SOTA tt (such as me with my Rockport or Albert with his Walker among a few who have gone down this road) and we listen and voice comparitive opinions regarding performance, then the age of the tt does not reduce it to merely 'nostalgia'. of course; were you to put together one of these vintage tt's and then compare it to a current top tt then maybe you might come to a different conclusion.

i was slow to warm to this direction myself and am not yet fully to the point of a conclusion. but my mind is certainly open to any result. a year ago i might have written exactly what you did.

ya gotta listen.
Mikelavigne;you stated your opinions very eloquently and,even more important, openminded.
But if one owns such an TT as an Rockport and is still
not fully satisfied then,I am afraid,I have no answer to
your surch-expedition. I have no problem at all with your
'lead' in time (a year in front)but I have some trouble
with your intention to go back (in time) to the Garrard.
BTW I was to onesided with my 'nostalgia' qualification
so I will add the 'handyman' who enjoys fixing things.

Cheers
Nanrric,
I ignored your negative comment because I didn't want the thread to deteriorate, but if all these people are more than amused with the 301,
Some with walkers others with rockports, maybe where there is something to it.
But if one owns such an TT as an Rockport and is still not fully satisfied then,I am afraid,I have no answer......

you are not the first to question why i am traveling down this road....but 'not fully satisfied' with the Rockport is not the answer to the question. curiosity and wanting to be involved with a fun direction is most of it. after i have fully experienced what the Technics and Garrard and such have to offer then we will see what i do long term. it's all good. i have also dived into RTR decks, but again not because the Rockport did not satisfy.

it's a hobby, and it's fun. all these machines hopefully bring us closer to the magic of music in some way.