KAB 1200 vs. everything else.

A few weeks back I asked Kevin of KAB USA what price level a fully modded 1200 competes with, and he thought somewhere in the 4500-5000 dollar price range. His reasoning was that the business concentrates on romantic reproduction rather than technical reproduction. It sounded plausible, but I am pretty new to analog playback. What do you think of this claim--Cheers
jmoog08
Post removed 
1200 is a great table itself, and what Kevin does to it brings even more lifelike presentation to this already great table. In my opinion Kevin is actually playing it safe.
For the record - I had 1200s for quite some time, with various modifications and I was never able to find a table in $4-6k range that wound better it.
However, one has t understand that when directly comparing two tables all parameters have to be taken into account. Only then comparison can be fair.
12-26-08: Tvad ‘Pauly, I mentioned twice before in this thread that I have used an AT150Mlx in my analog rig. You wouldn't consider the $250 AT150Mlx "over carting" the Technics, would you?’

No I wouldn’t. The Dyna XXII on a SL is over carting and that’s what I was referring to. I think the 150 is a very good match for the SL.

12-26-08: Thus far, I have used a Benz Micro Ace, AT150Mlx and Dynavector XX II. Frankly, they all had strengths.

You cannot hear the XXIIs strengths on the Technics. A good hint of its strengths maybe, an improvement over the others, yes, but certainly not what XXII is really capable of. The XXII is too delicate an instrument for an SL to get the best out of it.

BTW, I did the same – I ran a Koetsu Rosewood on a Rega at one stage. My jaw dropped once I used the same cart on a better table. I simply couldn’t believe it was the same cart.

Regards
Paul
Post removed 
Of course the Dyna will better the AT. The question is whether the $ spent on the Dyna would have been "better" spent on a better table. The answer to that "theoretical" question is yes. In "reality" you had your own reasons for hanging onto the Technics and getting the deal on the Dyna, and it was an enjoyable improvement but not enough to keep you from moving on from analogue. cool.

On another front, re: the original question, the rubber hits the road not in theoretical conversations about exchange rates of 70s R&D dollars etc etc but in direct well conducted comparisons. I have not done such a comparison with a KAB 1200 but I have with the stock 1200 and my own taste did not favor the Technics. My only point here is to temper the religious feelings we'd all like to prove that we've seen the light and it only costs $500.

Happy New Year!