KAB 1200 vs. everything else.

A few weeks back I asked Kevin of KAB USA what price level a fully modded 1200 competes with, and he thought somewhere in the 4500-5000 dollar price range. His reasoning was that the business concentrates on romantic reproduction rather than technical reproduction. It sounded plausible, but I am pretty new to analog playback. What do you think of this claim--Cheers
jmoog08
Post removed 
Except for a rehabbed idler. I have a Thorens TD111, which is their lowend offering. It does have more impact, weight, and drive. It is speed stable. Plenty of torque. You can get an old "needs work" idler for about $500+. You will need an arm, and a plinth.

"I disagree. I'll take my silver disc player over the KAB Technics any day."

Actually, I have to disagree with Tvad here. I have a somewhat highly modded KAB SL-1210M5GSE, with a Benz Micro Ace cartridge, playing through my old model McCormack MPD (with Rev. A mods) and, use to think digital was better than vinyl. My digital player is no slouch and, I've owned quite a number so, I have some breadth to base this on.

Of course, all of this is dependent on the quality of the source material but, all things being relatively equal, I hear the KAB/McCormack combo to be the most believable and certainly, the most enjoyable. There is more music flowing into my listening space and, it is always gaining more of my attention vs. the digital equivalent.

I can now see why some vinyl lovers are willing to spend more money, to enhance this experience - I know I’m certainly no different. Having said that, I will keep the KAB gear, possibly upgrade the cartridge, change the tone arm, mat, etc but, don't see pursuit past this. I know it could get much better but, it has already exceeded my expectations by such a wide margin – I’m now that rare audiophile – happy with my equipment lot.
Post removed 
Tvad, with all due respect you are expecting too much from the Technics. The KAB modified tables are fine tables, but by sticking on expensive peripherals (and I use the term peripherals loosely) like a 2K cart and 5K phono you’ll only end up revealing the SL’s shortcomings; hence your preference for your 3910.

I own two Technics tables myself – you can take them only so far and no more.

Cost wise an analogue setup is significantly more expensive than digital; sadly one has to both dig deep in your pockets on all the analog components and match these components carefully to have something that competes and beats a nice digital setup. That includes a topflight table.

Regards
Paul