Antiskating .... The last analog secret

excellent condition
hardly used

no, I didn't do that :)

I think, there is a difference between Antiskating and the right Antiskating.
Calibration with a blank surface is not always the 100% solution.
What do you think?
thomasheisig
Stefanl,

Your method seems much like Nsgarch's. As he mentioned, the higher the compliance of the cartridge, the better it works.

I would add that this method works best for arm/cartridge combinations which need a fair amount of AS. As one approaches zero AS the effects become less visible.

Both the visible deflection technique and the "start with AS at zero" technique only get you in the ballpark of course. As we all know and have said, fine tuning by ear is required no matter how you start.

Conclusion: for ballparking AS...
- if an arm/cart combo is known to prefer a fair amount of AS, the visible deflection technique may put you in the ballpark quickly
- if an arm/cart combo is known to prefer very little or no AS, starting at zero is likely to be quickest.

Stltrains,

I'm using a thinner fishing line than stock, so mine may resonate differently. I hadn't bothered tieing/propping the dogleg up, but after your report I'll try it. Thanks for the tip.

Interesting that your Wally Universal puts the UNIverse all the way out in the slots. So does my Mint protractor, and the greater eff. length should indeed have the benefit you described. Not only do Wally and Yip make the two most precise protractors, they even agree. This must be an analog first.

Fully agree on the tracking ability of the TriPlanar, truly superb.
Stringreen i am glad you are getting positive results with your VPI arm. Enjoying our favorite lps distortion free is the goal for us. Using 10.5 i had several lps that i know are difficult to track from years of hearing that i could not get to play with out distortion and break up. As i stated i use a Wally Universal for setup so i know i was very close if not right on. My daily job is hands on so i know tedious work. Believe me no one wants there setup correct more than me and i work very hard at it. This is one of the many things i love about our hobby so much.

Doug yes give tying up your lever a try. You know that jingle "whats the worst that can happen" In my case this little move has brought even better sound to my ears.
BTW i gave your music choice a try, was able to get a very nice copy of Haydn Music for England double lp set. You know im a classic rocker but i am truly enjoying the sound and music on these lps.
I already had my Wally on order when Mint became known here on the Gon. Wally is a very nice audiophile and i can understand him getting along with Yip. Its better for us as they may come up with better equipment for TT adjustments.
Everyone is talking about minimizing distortion during playback. Fact of life: some LP's already sound distorted and there is no way of getting rid of this even if you let the Zen master of the 10th+ level do the necessary adjustments.

Chris
Dazzdax poor recordings are poor recordings in every medium, but good set ups, set up correctly with good recordings, are what it is all about.
If an LP sounds distorted the primary causes are vinyl damage and misalignment. Others are excessive gain, etc.

You're right when you say "there is no getting rid of this" if the record is damaged. That is irreversible.

However, given an undamaged record, a properly aligned cartridge, and a well matched tonearm, distortion can be minimized to an imperceptible level. A zen master is not necessary; only patience and a little know how.