SP10 Mk II vs Mk III

A couple of guys here were planning to do listening comparisons of the Technics SP10 Mk II vs the Mk III, in their own homes and systems. Has anyone actually completed such a comparison? I am wondering whether the "upgrade" to the Mk III is actually worth it in terms of audible differences between the two tables. Possibly mounting either table in a well done wooden or slate plinth mitigates any sonic differences that would otherwise be heard. I am thinking of Albert Porter and Mike Lavigne in particular, who were going to do the comparison. Thanks for any response.
lewm
I'm in the middle of this comparison process, but my MK3 is so new, the tonearm cable is not even broken in.

Comparing before both tables are in IDENTICAL states is a waste of time. Worse, it gives people wrong information about a topic that there is not much data on.

I will say, I'm using identical SME 312S arms, identical AC cables and nearly identical plinths. Still, where the table sits, footers, set up and break in can screw a comparison, that's why I'm so slow to make remarks.

I can give you this, a clean well set up Technics MK2 with everything done right, is so good you may never care about a MK3. There is a possibility the MK3 will beat my MK2 when all is perfect, but until then the MK2 is the highest performance turntable I've ever owned.

From the time I bought my MK2, rebuilt it and our group made comparisons, nine other people sold what they had and went to Technics MK2. Two others went to Technics MK3.
hi Lew,

the only person who has experience with this question at this time that i know of is Steve Dobbins who is the one who built the plinth for my Mk2 and is presently building the plinth for the Mk3. i shipped him my Mk3 a few weeks ago. it will likely be a couple of months before it returns. he does take the Mk3 plinth to another level of refinement by separating the platter and motor from the case-work. so you just see the platter sticking up from the plinth. Steve feels that with the additional torque of the Mk3 motor shedding the case-work improves noise control. all that torque causes that case to flex and directly attaching the motor to the plinth eliminates that issue. i'm taking Steve's word for that. this change in plinth design makes it less than a direct comparison to my Mk2 for me later. Steve came to this design conclusion based on trying the Mk3 both ways.

with analog; everything matters. and at the top of the food chain; it all matters alot.

i know that Albert is nearing completion of his Mk3 plinth and might be listening now. it will likely take him a little time to get the Mk3 dialed in. then i'm sure he'll be sharing his results. btw; Albert's plinth design will not separate the platter from the case-work. i think i agree with Albert's opinion that the 'look' is better with the case-work attached.

the Mk2 sounds wonderful; i have not actually heard a Mk3 so i have no sense of the differences.

i do know with my experiences with the Rockport, the Mk2 and the Garrard that any time you lower noise and improve speed solidity and speed accuracy the music is more alive and involving. i expect that those will be the areas where the Mk3 shows it's worth.

added note; when i started to write this post Albert had not yet posted his above comments.....
Albert and Mike.
Where is the best places to find a Technics MKIII
and what type of prices should I expect
Thanks
Jeffrey
Jeffrey,

it was difficult for me to find a Mk3. one i pursued ended up being a scam in S.E. Asia. i did find one in Japan but it was $8k and for some reason it could not be sold outside of Japan.

then i got lucky; there was one listed inside an audiogon ad for an Audio Note cartridge. so it never showed up on any searches. a friend told me about it. i bought it immediately for slightly more than asking price. even then; it was in Denmark and it took me 6 weeks to finally get it shipped.

the best likely way to find one would be to stay in touch with people who are involved with them now. they might hear about others out there.

including shipping i paid about $6k. it included an obsidian plinth and Kenwood arm which i will be selling. depending on what those items sell for; my net for the Mk3 will be about $4500-$5000. that is likely about what a good one will cost + or - around $1000. one caution is to make sure it includes the power supply in working order.

that may sound like alot but from what i am told a Mk3 in the right plinth might just give the (uber $$$) Rockport a run for it's money. so it will turn out to be a bargain.
Thanks Albert and Mike. I completely agree with everything you say about how to make a valid comparison. The weird thing about "noise" is that one may think that noise is not a factor in one's own system, if one can't hear noise per se. Then, when something is done to lower supposedly inaudible noise, it becomes so obvious that music reproduction has improved. I agree with Mike that it becomes more "alive and involving". I think it also affects the soundstage in very good ways. Maybe that's the same thing. Anyway, please do report on your eventual findings, guys. Finding a Mk III is another matter entirely. I haven't seen one for sale anywhere in many months.