What is your cartridge and tracking force used

Share your actual setup or numerous setup you liked.

Actual for me: Grado Reference Platinum with recommended 1.5g (from .75 to 2) tracking force. Im still trying to find the best one but im always coming back to 1.5.

Thanks
dobermann
Sonofjim et al.. I've been futzing around with all settings since I've "Minted" the setup. The VPI arm as you know is a royal pain to change VTF since every change (VTA, VTF, ec.) requires careful resetting of azimuth. Right now I have the arm almost exactly horizontal with a "bit" of damping at the pivot, no side thrust compensation, at 1.8 - maybe a wee bit heavier..I have a Shure Bros. scale which reads only approximate...especially at x2. I read on an Audiogon post that it reads more accurately when used at the perimeter of the platter with the front feet off...so I've been using it like that. As per your recommendation, I will increase the VTF, but need to be in the "mood" to undertake all that is required to set the arm up again. If the internal weight had some adjusting room, I would do it and report back, however, moving the rear counterweight requires futzing with the azimuth as I mention before. My daughter and her husband are here for Thanksgiving so it will be a couple of days before I'll get back. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. ..just to let you all know...it sounds great at its current setup...but I know we are always looking for more....
I agree it is somewhat tiresome to mess with the VTF/azimuth on these arms. That's why when it's sounding good I tend not to mess with it too. Trying to change VTF by one or two hundredths of a gram would almost be insanely tedious. Luckily I find I'm quite satisfied to be in a narrow range. When setting this, Mike at VPI says it's essential to have the arm level while the cartridge is on the scale to get an accurate reading. If it's not, when you return to a record you will be under tracking. I really find that a descent digital scale makes this go much easier. The recommendation to keep the counterweight just loose enough to move is a good one. In my case, I've had more success with the rod/by ear method of azimuth adjustment than doing it electronically. I have a marked wooden dowel that I can quickly place at various points around the rod that helps greatly in leveling it.
Can you not use the fine adjustment screw at the rear of the arm to adjust VTF without upsetting azimuth?
Or if your arm lacks a fine VTF screw, just slide an O-ring or two back and forth on the end stub. Simple, cheap, quick, effective.