Good Analog EQ

Looking to integrate some form of analog EQ as a temporary solution until I change my speakers (which is going to take a while).

I can appreciate that adding anything into the signal path is not ideal but I'm wondering if it might be a worthy tradeoff since I have a fairly high resolution system but am not hearing it all because of too much bass (and yes, I have some room treatment already).

If I unplug the low frequency speaker cable from one speaker I get a huge improvement in detail (but of course suffer in other ways), so I'm thinking if I get my hands on some decent equalizer I might be able to improve things.

I use digital room correction for digital sources, but obviously don't want to do this for LPs.

Thanks in advance.
madfloyd
One other embarassing question, when measuring speaker position from the front/back wall, do you measure from the back of the cabinet or front(woofer)?
Floyd,

I run RCA from the pre to the SMS, then RCA out to my main amps and on to the Parsifal monitors. I also run RCAs from the SMS to my subs. This utilizes the 80hz roll off for the Parsifals.

If I decide to spring for a Marchand X-over, then I'll run a separate pre-out to the Marchand, by passing the SMS in the main signal path. For the bass, I'll still run through the SMS, out to a bass amp, and onward to the Encore woofers.

I believe that the SMS does A to D, for PEQ in the digital domain, but I'm honestly not certain. Since I've so far dealt with frequencies below 80hz, I'm not all that concerned. Whatever damage A/D does, in my room, it is dwarfed by the benefit of the PEQ at these frequencies.

If I want to cross to the Encore woofers at 150hz through the SMS, I'll find out if this favorable cost/benefit can be maintained up to those higher frequencies. As of right now, I haven't tried it, so I don't know the answer.

Marty

PS I fully understand the reluctance to add A/D to a minimal path, "purist" analog system. This recent experience has convinced me -at least on a preliminary basis - that, for deep bass, it's worth it.
Measurements should be made from just behind the center of the woofer cone. The Aeriels shouldn't have a dip in the midrange. It's more likely that the room nodes in the bass are eclipsing it. 15db humps in the mid bass due to room/positioning are not uncommon. And as you noted, that hump is way above where the port kicks in. Moving the speakers to 8'4" from the back wall and 2'4" from the side walls will put the speakers about 6' from your 12' listening position, which, although a little extreme, should be a very interesting change for you, as long as you toe them in to point about a foot or so behind your head. Of course experimentation is the key. Avoid 6'3" as this is 1/4 of the room length. 4'2" would be 1/6 but would still be very close to your back wall. 5' mightn't be too bad. How high is your ceiling?
Piedpiper,

Ceiling is 7.5' high. I think your math is wrong: if my listening position is at 12' and I move the speakers 8'4" out from wall, how does that leave 6' between speaker and me?

I did try this - almost. I probably have the speakers about 7' out and I must admit, the depth of the soundstage is intoxicating. Many instruments still sound like they're coming from the wall, but anything panned 100% to one side jumps forward. I only tried one album so far (Aja), but got the impression that midrange sounds a little thin. But I'm certainly motivated to experiment more than I had been previously - thank you.

Thanks for the response, Marty.
3'8" from you to the axis of the speakers but 6' to each speaker. How did the bass improve? If this is too disconcerting try 5 feet from the back wall. This'll probably work very well for you if the other was too much.