Questions about Zerostat use

Hello
I recently purchase a Zerostat gun (blue).There is no manual whatsoever so i have several questions regarding its use.The box says just to slowly press the trigger 12 inches from the record and then slowly depress it.
1.Should i point away when depressing the trigger?
2.Should i do it on each side of the LP?
3.Can i use it on cartridges and cables?If yes,how?
4.A small plastic piece that came in the box:is it just the protective cover or is it for something else?
I really appreciate your help!Thanks.
overhang
Best is trying not to use zerostat. Avoid static electricity by grounding properly the TT bearing with tonearm base and phonopreamp, if you have carpet, walk barefeet, use antistatic innersleeves.
Has anyone ever zapped their cartridge with a Zerostat? What happened? The manual for the Zerostat does not say anything about zapping/not zapping a cartridge. I've been using Zerostats for over 30 years and have regularly used it on the cartridge/tonearm of several different systems with never a glitch.
Goofytwoshoes, if you've been aiming your Zerostat at your catridges all this time and have not had a problem, I'm delighted for you. I've always made a point of not doing this because I've been concerned about the possible impact of such a concentrated charge hitting a delicate set of coils and magnets. No other reason than caution, though.