Questions about Zerostat use

Hello
I recently purchase a Zerostat gun (blue).There is no manual whatsoever so i have several questions regarding its use.The box says just to slowly press the trigger 12 inches from the record and then slowly depress it.
1.Should i point away when depressing the trigger?
2.Should i do it on each side of the LP?
3.Can i use it on cartridges and cables?If yes,how?
4.A small plastic piece that came in the box:is it just the protective cover or is it for something else?
I really appreciate your help!Thanks.
overhang
At the San Jose Analog Room I was told to use this technique and if you spray ions on the cartridge while playing an lp you get a nasty sound and be embarassed for the "know-nothing-newbie" you exposed yourself to be.

Technique:

1. Place record on turntable and turn platter on.
2. Aim Zerostat at record about 4-6 inches and slowly squeeze trigger until you hear a click.
3. MOST IMPORTANT Pull Zerostat away from record and release the trigger. (Don't aim at cartridge when squeezing the trigger.)

Do only the lp side you're playing

Also, you can treat your CDs. Hold CD in one hand and use the Zerostat on the underside of the CD using the same aim-squeeze-pull away cited earlier. Put CD in tray and play.

I've never heard of any Zerostat application on cables and I think it's a waste as only the shielding get's sprayed.

Finally, the Zerostat's magnet or internals will wear out so don't be squeezing the trigger like there's no tomorrow because it'll eventually wear out - no longer "click" (discharge) when you squeeze the handle. Then it's time to pony up another $70 for a new one.
Best is trying not to use zerostat. Avoid static electricity by grounding properly the TT bearing with tonearm base and phonopreamp, if you have carpet, walk barefeet, use antistatic innersleeves.
Has anyone ever zapped their cartridge with a Zerostat? What happened? The manual for the Zerostat does not say anything about zapping/not zapping a cartridge. I've been using Zerostats for over 30 years and have regularly used it on the cartridge/tonearm of several different systems with never a glitch.