Walker Vortex Vacuum Wand for VPI

Hello all,
From a thread over on the Asylum, I noted Walker has introduced an Arm Wand for VPI RCMs.
After reading it's description at Elusive Disc, I can't help but think that this Delrin Wand, with no protective strips, coming in contact with the vinyl, no matter how one adjusts the Wand Tower, will be "kind" to the vinyl?

The other item included with the Wand, is two little O-rings, placed on Spindle, said to keep the record from touching the Mat. Wouldn't a rubber washer serve the same purpose?

Perhaps too new to hear other's opinions? I like the idea of never needing to worry about velvet strips going bad, less chance of cross-contamination, etc, but just cannot seem to get past the idea of the Delrin contacting Vinyl? Mark
markd51
I agree that this whole thing seems a little suspect. I imagine there's more to the discontinuation of this than just production costs. I can't say that I know that there's any risk of LP damage because I haven't used it. Based on the disatisfaction I've heard voiced by some and the success I know to result from the current wands, I would guess that interest was low. Now the remaining stock is on sale? Fishy. Changing to a new cork mat for cleaned sides and switching armwands works so well I just was never tempted to try this thing beyond the initial excitement. If Harry thought this was a good idea I'm sure he would have done it long ago. When VPI markets such a device I'll take a second look.
You guys are amazing. "Suspect"? You have to be kidding me. "On sale"? Get real, every retailer has sale prices on all their stock right now.

Markd51, you certainly are being blunt, but you have no experience to support your concluding assertion, which is simply uninformed and wrong.
"a product that apparently just didn't seem to do what it was supposed to do"

Sonofjim, if you choose not to try the wand because you have concerns or reservations, or because you there is inconsistent experience being reported, I respect that. But to suggest there is something "fishy" I find outrageous.

The Vortex wand does do what it was designed to do, and for a number of us it is doing that supremely well. As I've reported here, I use the wand and it does exactly what Lloyd Walker says it does. Oldvinyl uses the wand. Sbank uses the wand. We've all reported our positive experiences in this thread. Another audio acquaintance I know has sold his Loricraft and gone back to using his original VPI 16.5 because with the addition of the Vortex wand he's now getting better results from the VPI.

Madfloyd has not found the wand to to meet his expectations, but at least he has actually tried it and posted about his direct experiences. I value his contribution because it is based in experience, even if different than mine. (Lloyd Walker offers a money back guarantee on all of his products, so I trust that Madfloyd will send it back for a refund.)

The Vortex wand is working here exactly as intended and designed, it is just as adjustable "to any thickness of vinyl" as the stock tube, and it significantly improves the results I'm getting from my VPI HW-17 based on my comparative listening.

I'm sorry, I just find the preceding two posts insulting. I hope those of you who know me in this forum through my contributions will recognize I am out "of character" here, and I apologize. But this is too much. End of rant.
Have you ever heard the old saying Rushton, "Run it up the flagpole, and let's see who salutes"?

My last response, which apparently hasn't made it past the moderators, possibly cause of wasted bandwidth, not due to any personal insults towards you, Lloyd, went on to further explain some factual evidence posted here, and realities, nothing more. Mark
Rushton,
I'm glad you're happy with the wand. I was simply making an observation that, almost at the same time I decided to take a wait and see approach to this thing it was discontinued. As you can see from my post on 11/24 I was then already noticing a lack of buzz on the subject. I realize my opinion is not based on direct experience but the impressions I get from feedback and online developments. I guess I just assume everyone will want to jump on board when something lives up to the hype. Again, I'm glad you're happy with it and nothing I said was intended to be disrespectful or insulting to you or Walker Audio.
I'd be very careful and am leary about having direct contact of any suction tube with the lp. I've had bad experiences with this in the past. The very first nitty gritty used a thin plastic teflon covering on the tube and this trapped dirt between the lp and suction tube and ruined quite a few records. I've also had misadjusted suction tubes on machines with a felt layer gouge the grooves and destroy records.

Machines such as the new Typhoon with an even more powerful suction may also be asking for more trouble. Dirt trapped there may just scratch and gouge the record-that u won't hear til u play the LP.

Seeing that most lps are irreplacable, I'd be very careful.