Advantages of upgrade from VPI 16.5 RCM

I wonder if any fellow A'goners have upgraded their RCMs from a VPI 16.5 to the higher end VPI models ie VPI 17 or the Typhoon 27 or any other brand eg Clearaudio, Hannl or Acoustictech and the perceived advantages, if any, of such upgrade in terms of superior cleaning etc etc. The mega bucks that some audiophiles lavish on their vinyl front end would presumably demand the best cleaning device available.Have been using a VPI 16.5 for over a year while I am satisfied that the RCM cleaning regimen(with AVIS one step and distilled water) coupled with steam cleaning does give decent results there are several lps, some fairly new , in which the pop and crackle is a constant feature,(despite anti static gun etc etc). A recent review of the VPI 27 in Soundstage, in which MM while preferring the VPI 27 over the VPI 17, did not find any distinct advantage on account of the superior cleaning power/ more powerful vaccuum motor of the VPI 27, set me thinking.
Would appreciate the advice/comments of A'goners who have done an upgrade or contemplated one.
Many thanks in anticipation.
128x128sunnyboy1956
Thanks for the tip about Acoustic Sounds used vinyl. I had considered it in the past but ruled it out due to the lack of grading or info about condition. I will now reconsider.
Doug, You have obviously never heard the new Typhoon. I have yet to audition a quieter machine. Perhaps that is why? Using Harry's DIY solution, I have yet to hear a cleaner lp.
Thank you for your post Zieman,
But, the things I'd like to know, is what is the reason behind your assessments? I want to know technically, what makes the Typhoon a quieter machine versus the 16.5? Is it better insulation, is it a different Vacuum Motor? Can somebody here be brave enough to pop open thier Typhoon, and tell me?

Basically, from what I know, the Typhoon uses a similar Platter Motor, but not the same as the 16.5. It has a run Capacitor, and from what I understand, is a reversible motor as well. But what about the Vacuum Motor, what is the Part #? Mark
mark

latest issue of one of the hi-fi mags (stereophile, TAS)has review of typhoon... actually noticed a few RCM reviews recently, wonder why some many suddenly.

anyways description of differences between typhoon and 16.5 all listed there. when i have more time will try and remember and post....
It would be incredible for someone with a 16.5 or 17 and ALSO a Typhoon to record some short sound samples of each and post them.

I also read that the later Typhoons were quieter than early ones, but I could be wrong.

Over the summer I was in a similar situation where I wanted to upgrade from my 16.5 I had recently invested money into it as well, with a second arm tube/holder (for AI step #2) and a new cork mat.

It cleaned well, but I wanted to be able to clean LP's after Midnight, while talking on the phone, and without resorting to ear protection.

I was just afraid that after all that cash to upgrade to a Hannyl or Typhoon, that it would only be marginally quieter. So I jumped on the Loricraft PR3 the day the price increased (I got the old price)

So I say outfit your 16.5 with another set of cleaning tubes, and use the best fluids (I'm thinking of trying Walker step 4)

Unless you can go for a Loricraft, stay with your 16.5. SInce it's so fast, you can do an extra pass or two and get it clean that way. The 16.5 is just a great cost to performance ratio.