Is your image centred?

I am giving up on my old Analog rig soon!
The image on most of my disk is not centred! Some shifted to the left, some shifted to the right!! Yet, some are dead centred!!! WHY???
My rig:
Thorens 125 mark2
SME 2009R
Otofon MC20 Super, Grado Prestige Gold
luna
Maybe that's how they got recorded and your analog rig is simply doing its job. You might also check your antiskating adjustment and azimuth alignment, though. Sometimes adjusting antiskating helps pull the center image to the center. But I also have to ask myself if it has more to do with mic placement or mixdown than my playback adjustments.

Are there things in your listening room that get moved around from time to time? I've noticed shifts in soundstage depending on where chairs are placed and whether something is stacked high enough to influence the tweeters' dispersion patterns.

This past Christmas I could hardly wait to get rid of the tree because it was wrecking the soundstage. How's that for a Scroogey audiophile?
Thanks for your reply. You are right about things in the way which effects the image. I have no problems with my CDs. With the 3 cartridges. The Denon is the least affected but the Grado is almost unlistenable! Yet, I am not sure if the tone arm is too old to do its job. I have not used the set up for a fews years and now I am tring to set it back up again. But I don't think it is damaged! Anyway. I have to continue tomorrow...Thanks.
Perfectly normal, and if you increase resolution you will hear this even more. Vinyl playback is not perfect, but it still makes beautiful music. So if one insists on rock-solid, pin-point images there is always the IPod. ;-)
More to discover