reserve vta solves issue on zyx, triplaner

I had a real shrill setup on my turntable

see this thread

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1216224153&openmine&zzAudiotomb&4&5#Audiotomb

with a little help from Richard Grey, he suggested readjusting by lowering the back of the arm below parallel

the grating sound is gone and I was able to dial in the vta and get lucious sound again. although I am gettting more surface noise

it appears my cantilever has settled where the cartridge is riding lower towards the record surface. Lowering the back of the arm from parallel is giving me better sonics. is there a problem with the cantilever bending up too much?

anything else I should look into?

thanks
Tom
128x128audiotomb
FWIW, I "always" forget the slippers and remember Flannel PJ's!! It's cold in the Mile High City.

Hope this helps -:)

results are in from Mehran and Japan
cantilever damage - he felt it had been hit at some point
diamond still in tact but riding too low

they could rebuild or send me a new cartridge at the retip price,
I swallowed hard and took the new cartridge

hopefully I'll have less problems with the vta and sweet spot in sound

maybe some of my vta issues were exasperbated by the cantilever issue

Mehran is such a class act! thanks

Tom
Tom dont feel bad i bit the ZYX bullet a while back also. Broke the stylus off my Universe.

What i did for break in differently the second time was log my time in 20 minute measures per side with the old fashioned line method. I used 20 mins. because that about the average. Since mid Sept. i have logged 225 hours on my Universe. You will hear the differences in break in for sure. Good luck with your new ZYX.

I agree Mr Mehran is one of the best in all of audio. Runs a knowledge and prompt audio business and a fine person.
damn

new cartridge is on, nailed my mint setup
still breaking in and it's fabulous
no mistracking, great presentation through the whole spectrum and tonally balanced, does sound a hair restrained from a fully broken in cartridge but not by much

I think my damaged cantilever was making vta overtly sensitive

thanks for all the help and Mehran for fabulous service

back in analog in a big way!
It was clear something was wrong, as I posted back on 10/1. Sorry to hear it was indeed an injured cartridge, but at least you're back and the music is too. :-)