reserve vta solves issue on zyx, triplaner

I had a real shrill setup on my turntable

see this thread

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1216224153&openmine&zzAudiotomb&4&5#Audiotomb

with a little help from Richard Grey, he suggested readjusting by lowering the back of the arm below parallel

the grating sound is gone and I was able to dial in the vta and get lucious sound again. although I am gettting more surface noise

it appears my cantilever has settled where the cartridge is riding lower towards the record surface. Lowering the back of the arm from parallel is giving me better sonics. is there a problem with the cantilever bending up too much?

anything else I should look into?

thanks
Tom
128x128audiotomb
atmas - I have the ZYX Artisan for a phono preamp
which I would think would be ideally calibrated for the Universe from a loading standpoint

antiskate etc - I've already bought into all the triplaner tips Doug and company have listed here
Audiotomb, I agree. Funny how the ZYX cartridge behaves differently with different preamps, even when they are loaded the same.
Something's wrong. There's no way you should have to lower the back of the arm that much with a UNIverse (or any other cartridge I can think of). I hope your fear about a deteriorating suspension is wrong.
Doug,shouldn't you be packing your suit cases,and staying off the computer?

You could easily be forgetting something like toothe paste,or shampoo -:)

Lucky dog!!!!!
SirSpeedy,

I'm doing this from work. You don't think I'd waste valuable toothpaste-packing time, do you?!