Weird issue with my VPI... please help

I have a VPI Scoutmaster with a Shelter 501 MKII cartridge.

This is fairly new, so cartridge has maybe 40 hours on it.

Imagine a graphic EQ where you pushed the lowest band up full... and did the same to one other band in the upper midrange... and that's what it sounds like.

I thought it was something else in the playback chain, but I've isolated it to the turntable (switched phono stages to be sure). Other sources play fine so it's not the preamp or speakers etc.

Any ideas? I don't know if it's always been like this because when I first got the turntable I had some serious speaker issues where I couldn't hear the difference between any electronics (had a very muddy sound). Now that I have that cleared up (CDs sound great) I can hear the difference between different preamps etc... so I finally sit down to hear what my new vinyl collection actually sounds like... only to find out I have a problem of sorts.

The cartridge was setup by Elusivedisc.com where I bought the turntable.

Any help much appreciated!
madfloyd
Artemus..remember that the better the component, the car, the wine, the watch, etc., etc., the bigger the price which goes up exponentially. Therefore the Ebony may only be better in some ways..maybe even marginally better, but to get that bump in resolution, smoothness, wide soundstage, depth, etc....you have to pay, baby, pay.
i ordered my Fermer Set-up DVD from Barnes and Noble. They even honored my coupon!

Marty
Stringreen. The Ebony is starting to open up very nicely to the point where my previous comments should be revised and extended. Sure, the 20XL is a good cart for its price point, but at this point the Ebony is starting to show that it will be a great deal better than the 20.
The sound stage is huge. The layering is captivating. The bass is deep to the point that I can almost hear the string resonating at times. I don't know all the appropriate audiophile terms but I know that it is besting the 20 by a wide margin as it should. In spite of the law of diminishing returns, I have no regrets with my purchase but must admit that my first impression was somewhat lackluster. But that is changing very quickly. I still only have 3-4 hrs on it so I expect even more to come.
I am using the Benz LP, and it took this cartridge a very, very long time to really come alive...maybe hundreds of hours. Maybe it was the Nordost cable in the arm, but whatever...be patient. You have a very low output cartridge so you have to be careful that it is set up properly with the preamp.