$ 2500 -- Best Way to Spend It Today ?

Okay, here's a great hypothetical question, which may indeed help me reach a purchase decision. I've got a $ 2500.00 total budget for a new analog front end. What's the best way to spend the dinero ?

..... $ 1500 for a new rig and $ 1000 for a whole lot of new records.......or $ 2500 for a new rig, and enjoy (maximally, of course) the LP's that I already own ?

An example of the $ 1500 front end would be a Music Hall MMF 7.1/Goldring Eroica H or a Rega P5/Dyna 10x5. A possible $ 2500 front end would be a VPI Scout/Benz Ace H.

..........Let's hear what you think, and then recommend a great $ 1500 front end and then a great $ 2500 front end to get my juices flowing. The cash outlay needs to include table, arm, and cartridge (MM or high output MC, as I want to keep my current phono stage). I'm looking forward to some wonderful suggestions on how to spend the moolah. Thanks, and Happy Listening !!
adam18
Adam,

Sounds like your hearts in the right place, but if you're wondering about what difference an upgrade would make, go to a Rega dealer, since your NAD is basically a P2, and hear for yourself how meaningful the differences are between a P2, P5 and P7 and any other brands they carry in your price range. Of course, it's not a question of whether differences exist, or even how big they are, but how important they are to you and your enjoyment, and if and when you want to prioritize them. It's as simple as that. Good luck and keep enjoying Hank and the crew!
Hey, Johnnyb53..........Those are some pretty solid ideas. Thanks a lot. Yes, my TT arm is the Rega RB-250, and I just switched to the Rega glass platter (I need to upgrade the photos in my "system link" to show the newly improved table, and to also show the Rotel RCD-1072 which has replaced my Marantz CD-63SE/Musical Fidelity X-10D digital front end.

Now, without being able to audition a new pick-up, how can I best decide between a Goldring 1022/1042, AT150MLX, or Ortofon 2M ?? Also, should I include the Dynavector 10x5 on the list of contenders ?
Hey Piedpiper....Thanks for your input !! That's some great advice !!....And yes, enjoying "Hank and the crew" and really digging the tunes is what it's all about, my friend. After all, when we get right down to it, it's the MUSIC that really matters !!
08-11-08: Adam18
Now, without being able to audition a new pick-up, how can I best decide between a Goldring 1022/1042, AT150MLX, or Ortofon 2M ?? Also, should I include the Dynavector 10x5 on the list of contenders ?
First, decide what you like and don't like (if anything) about your Elektra. Then talk to vendors who are familiar with it and other carts you're interested in. Tell 'em you want something with similar sonic signature but more musical detail, lower surface noise, more transparency, etc.

Also, take a look at the weight, compliance, output level, and recommended capacitance loading for your Elektra, and then find a cart with similar specs to get the same kind of match with the tonearm and impedance/output/capacitance match with your phono stage.

The higher end Goldrings are probably a safe bet because they're from the same company. BY FAR, the best prices I've seen for the Goldring 10x2 series are from kabusa.com. Also, if you talk to Kevin at kabusa, he can probably help you immensely in picking the right MM cart.
Thanks, everybody............It's been a pleasure learning about all your thoughts. I've updated "my system" link, with all new photos. Please check it out, and comment as you so desire. Happy Listening !!