Measure My Turntable Speed

I've been told that a very accurate way to measure the speed of a turntable is by using a test meter set to khz, placing the positive terminal into one of the outputs of the phono stage (or tape output), the other to the ground and then play a 1000hz test track of our a good quality test record... If the table speed is good, the reading should be very close to 1khz...

Ever tried this one?
stickman451
The method suggested by the Acoustic Sounds turntable tech using a 1kHz test tone and a DMM is a very accurate way to calibrate the speed of your turntable. If you have a test LP with a 1kHz tone track and a DMM, you have everything you need. Laying out the money for a strobe won't buy you greater accuracy, but you might find the strobe to be a bit more convenient to use.
>>can someone tell me in down to earth terms why you must spend 90 some dollars for a strobe??????<<

KAB can.

But you don't need that thing. A strobe disc and fluorescent light are all that's required.
Why worry about $90 bucks when entry level carts cost $1,500 a pop to strain gauges $6G to $14G. Even if your a Grado moving iron type the KAB is easy to use with repeatable results. Should you be happy with your speed system so be it. Most of the time record care and reasonably good AC sources resolve most speed issues. Record care ? A clean recording spins well and has less grunge , a "mother's helper" to the ears.
"Reasonably good Ac sources" is to be understood as line controllers; VPI, ProJect, Walker,etc. "AC sources" also includes dedicated lines for analog, pre-amp , amp & speakers should they have active AC sources. In this situation one hand washes the other. If you are 'ol school and are agast at those recommendations, no problem. But turntable speed is a measure of many things , not soley lights and paper rings.