vpi scoutmaster versus technics unbiased

Anyone heard both the vpi scoutmaster and the technics mk5g not the earlier versions and preferably with tonerarm dampen kit to tell me whether there is big difference in sonics. Lets assume no sds or clamp with vpi but newer tonearm. phonostage is dartzeel preamp and amp is dartzeel as well. by the way i am happy with the technics mk5g that I have but wondering whether the scoutmaster with my existing benz ace low output cartridge would have a lower noisefloor or what would the benefits necessarily be. I listen to jazz and rock. If you sneer at direct drive then at least admit it so I am aware of the bias.

thanks

mike

thanks

mike
radioheadokplayer
I just sold a fully modded M5G for a Scoutmaster. For some reason, in my setup, my M5G had a high pitched noise (was not a ground issue). The noise was coming from the pitch control. My previous TT MK2 did not have that problem. Anyway, in my system, the VPI has a much larger soundstage and deeper bass. However, I was using a Dynavector 10x5 on the Technics and now using CLEARAUDIO MAESTRO WOOD Cart so not really fair comparsion. Technics imaging was dead center but VPI is more of a spread center. Both very good but different. Technics was much easier to setup vs. VPI. Speed control much better on Technics than VPI. Speed and noise seem to be the most common issues between these two TT's from what I've heard from the online forums.
Post removed 
I've had the VPI for just under two months and have replayed several of my most favorite LP's and most have shown a signifgant improvement in LP surface noise. Again, I don't think it's 100% fair comparision due to a different cart and arm. Maybe the MC cart was just to harsh for the Technics on my system and picked up every little thing. My phono preamp is a jolida 9d.
Sorry it my first post was off the OP. Hopefully this on gets closer to the info your after.
Hi Radiohead,
I have both the Sl1200 with a KAB damper, matt, rewire, and a VPI Scoutmaster stock. Both are going into an Ayre P5xe phono preamp.

Both sound excellent. Now, they have different cartridges. The Technics has an Audio-Technica AT-33PTG moving coil, and the VPI has a Dynavector 20H.

The Technics offers fantastic ease of use, very good cost to performance ratio, easy set up and easy cartridge changes (removeable headshells & easy VTA).

The VPI requires a larger investment, has better ability to track excellent cartridges.

Now, in regards to sound quality, when I have a serious listening session with a very fine LP, I always go to the VPI. It sounds better to me. Blacker backgrounds, better image, noticeable bass depth and power.

If I'm having friends over and playing their records, or having a party, I like the Technics which still sounds very, very good. The KAB modifications are superb and I highly recommend them if you select the Technics.

I hope this helps, that's just my SPIN on things!
Post removed