DIY Record Cleaning Solution

I just purchased a vpi 17 record cleaner. I'd like to make my own solution. Any suggestions? What has worked for you?
jimateo
Fishboat, you're right of course about the alcohol. I just rechecked Weisfeld's recipe and he did say Isopropyl.
Here is one i have used sucessfully. 28 ounces distilled water, 4 ounces isopropyl, and 1 teaspoon of dawn diswashing detergent. I have also substituted an enzyme detergent solution instead of dawn. Both work very well with a steaming regiment. I have a diy rcm that i use also. I have used the solution with dawn for many years.
Maclogan-Dopogue,
Not that I have any axe to grind with Harry Wiesfield, but maybe you don't remember a time back, where VPI was selling some really bad funky stuff that coagulated in the bottle, and Harry's-VPI's recommendation, was to throw the mixture in the Fridge. Not that his products still do this, but just an example that even Harry's stuff had issues. No doubt VPI buys from someone else.

To answer your question about do I know what's in the products I use, meaning, do I know what is in AIVS Cleaning products? Yes, I do, I've been told by the owner of the company exactly what is in them, and what isn't in them. I am also aware of the type of Storage vessels that these products are marketed in.

Do I know the exact proprietary formulas, of course I don't, and wouldn't expect sch info from any company. If you were making these products, would you give out your exact formulas?

Sure, DIY can be done right, but I wonder just how much money you would actually save? Do you think AIVS, L'Art Du Son, MFSL/RRL runs to Wally world to buy bottles of Dawn, off the shelf Alcohol, Single Stage Distilled water? to mention a few?

Remember the cost of lab testing, and approval, beta testing, marketing, shipping/handling, packaging, etc, etc, do you think this all comes for free? What about a profit? What is your time worth?

Please do thoroughly explain, and give detailed information about what level of quality chemicals you use in your DIY, I'd like learning. Mark
Those of you that use Isopropyl you must be careful. Isoproply will harden vinyl. Use Everclear 190 proof grain alcohol. It will not harm your vinyl.
I use a combination of Distilled water, Everclear (190 proof grain alcohol) and Dawn original blue dishwash. Three parts water 1 part Everclear and about 3 to 5 drops of dawn. The alcohol and dawn will give a sudsing action on the vinyl surface. If you use a brush like the scrubbing brush that comes with a VPI it will get allot of dirt off those LP's. I have friends that just use the Everclear and distilled water with great results also. After scrubbing pat the record dry with a lint free cloth. I usually clean both sides then pat it dry. I haven't used my VPI Record Clean machine in a long while.
What do you mean "isopropyl will harden vinyl", how so? This is the first I ever heard of this. I have been using isopropyl for awhile without any problems. Do you have any other information or source for this? Not that I doubt you, but I don't want to damage my records.