Who does not like the Lyra Dorian?

Just got one for my Linn LP12, and right off the detail was great, but it is very forward and bright. I am patiently waiting for it to warm up a bit so that I can make a real decision here, but I might suspect it is not to my taste (stress MIGHT, for I am known to misjudge these things in haste). I generally prefer a more spacious laid back sound, but the detail is seductive and it seems quite musical. I thought I would try something different, too firm an attachment to taste is questionable. Any thoughts?

By the way, I have Art Audio tube gear and Tetra speakers.
chashmal
The Lyra Dorian is an absolute keeper BUT requires proper alignment of zenith and azimuth as well as anti-skate force. Don't rely on simple guides... because it is a line contact stylus it requires high resolution alignment. Align the azimuth with a cross-talk record and an AC Voltmeter or cartridge analyzer. If the azimuth is not optimized then you will not realize the potential of this cartridge. Same for anti-skate - use a proper anti-skate LP - the Nautilus test record is nice.

If all that is proper then I think that it may be your matching to the preamp too. Read my primer on cartridge matching on the 6 moons site for more info:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stepup/primer.html

IMHO the LYRA Dorian is definitely the best value MC catridges out there.
Jhendrixfan, what step-up did you have the best experience with?

I tried Lundahls and Wright tube phonostage, but had much better experience with Allen Wright's JLTI preamp, which brings out the strengths in my Lyra Argo (i) better than any other phonostages I tried (even compared to $4-7k phonos).
I recommend using Peerless mic transformers as step up devices. Or perhaps a custom transformer in Mu metal from David Slagle.

HOWEVER, I caution people about referring to "strengths" of a cartridge. The LYRA MC line is so balanced and revealing that it can be both blessing and curse. Some folks like more romantic sounding cartridges with more mid-range bloom. The LYRA is very accurate and not very tolerant of "just getting it close" when it comes to set-up. IMHO, larger elliptical styli are much more forgiving when it comes to set-up. Don't fret though, once the LYRA's are set-up properly they stay that way. So IMHO, they are not at all a finicky cartridge - especially after only 40-50 hours of break-in. They "lock in" and just sing their little butts off!

Again unless someone sets up MC cartridges practically for a living, very few people are qualified to adjust azimuth "by ear". As with everything there are exceptions and exceptional people BUT test equipment is the ONLY way to obtain truly objective information. These LYRA cartridges are NOT simply "adjust the body to mechanically level" and forget it! I have heard these cartridges when they are "slightly off" on azimuth and they seem "just OK". Whereas when properly set up they transform into a "most bang for the buck" value in MC cartridges nowadays.

The Argo i is a GREAT cartridge - I'm just not certain it is worth the extra loot over the Dorian. To me it just gets to be a law of diminishing returns but if you can afford it - God bless! So to me I deem it sagacious to invest the difference in price in a better step-up device, TT stand, plinth, tonearm or even the TT itself. I witness too many sound systems with too many other limiting factors in them to ever indict a LYRA or a Soundsmith re-done MC cartridge as the culprit.

In general, Audio "systems" are a HUGE system integration endeavor - many variables. Therefore it is very easy to simply focus on one or only a few things and vary them to counteract the shortcomings of the others.
I have the Lyra Dorian with an EAR 834p "deluxe" and a C220/MC275V. The first time I played it really opened my eyes. The only cartridge I had before that was a Grado Sonata, so I have limited experience.

I thought it was a little bit tipped towards the high's when I first got it. I think I just wasn't hearing as much of them as before. On my system it feels balanced. Drum hits and cymbals are awesome. I was stuck by how well flutes and voices sound. What struck me was that you could have that much detail and have a kind of fullness too.

After hearing the Skala it's not a let down, but let's me know there's more to be had as you move up the line.