Who does not like the Lyra Dorian?

Just got one for my Linn LP12, and right off the detail was great, but it is very forward and bright. I am patiently waiting for it to warm up a bit so that I can make a real decision here, but I might suspect it is not to my taste (stress MIGHT, for I am known to misjudge these things in haste). I generally prefer a more spacious laid back sound, but the detail is seductive and it seems quite musical. I thought I would try something different, too firm an attachment to taste is questionable. Any thoughts?

By the way, I have Art Audio tube gear and Tetra speakers.
chashmal
Well Martykl maybe the forwardness is a more accurate term than brightness. I can adjust brightness with lowering loading in the phono preamp, so that's not the problem. I am just getting used to a more merciless attack. The dorian (at this early stage) is still quite severe, at hour 13 of the break-in.

I also must say that I am used to a totally different sound: a Benz Ace. This might be part of the problem. But what a nice problem to have!

Hi,

Recently, I had the opportunity to hear the Lyra Olympos on my turntable. It was so resolving right out of the box that anything downstream was left naked with all its flaws apparent. If the Dorian is anything at all like the Olympos in its nature, you may, like me, begin to question other aspects of the system. On the otherhand, some rooms aren't suited for certain components, and the Dorian may be one of those components in yours. That said, you will rarely find a group of listeners who share the exact tastes. You may just like another cartridge better. I believe all of us have most likely been down that road.

_______
Mosin you are a reasonable guy. The Dorian is resolving in a merciless way! It does certain things much much better than my Benz, but it shows no compasion to any flaw, in particular distortion, like in Chess recordings from the 50's. However Blind Lemon Jefferson, J.S. Bach, and Stockhausen never sounded so good.

Maybe I am beginning to like it (at about 16 hours)!

Yep, I believe you will like it in time. Unfortunately for me, I got only a taste of the wonderful, but unobtanium, Olympos. Remember, unforgiving can easily be associated with accurate, and sometimes those can be downright scary terms. I have let a cartridge alter my musical tastes on more than one occasion simply because it rendered a record differently. I suppose that's why I have extra cartridges that I will never play again...and records. You know, this can be a brutal hobby! ;)

_______
I also think that much of the harsh reality is slowly being warmed up by the interaction of break-in and tube goodness! I have heard it said that Lyras might have been voiced with tube gear in mind. I am slowly coming to 'get it', but it is a shock indeed. One's aesthetic preconceptions can be quite daunting.