Turntable Leveling Question VPI Scout

I have a Vpi Scout on a Gingko Cloud 9 Platform. The Gingko model is the one where the turntable rest directly on the blue balls not the one with the top piece. The isolation cones of the VPI not not touch the Gingko base.

Do I place the bubble level directly on the acrylic platter to balance the turntable (it appears the platter in suspended on the spindle to some degree) or do I measure the balance on the turntable platform or the gingko base beneath it? I get differnt balance reading for each piece (platter,turntable platoform and gingko base)

autodexr
Yes. On my TNT the platter is slightly dished, as moving the level around on the platter produces inconsistent level readings. When setting up an arm, you want a consistent reference point-- as provided by the armboard or plinth area close to the arm.

I use a 3" Stanley straight level (Home Depot item). This works better than the round bubble levels that come with most TTs. (1) Place the level on the armboard just in front of the arm pivot. (2) Orient the level from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock and level the TT plinth from left to right. (3) Orient the level from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock and level the TT plinth from front to back.

The process takes just two steps, provided that with each adjustment you raise/lower the matching corner towers by equal amounts. It may take a bit longer if you're moving individual balls around.
The best way on the scout is to level the platter itself, with a 2-3" bubble level like DG suggested. I bought a cheap one and took it apart to get just the level itself. Put it radially at 3 o'clock, then rotate it 90 degrees to 6 o'clock. The platter is what matters.
That's what I thought...you'd level the platter in case the center motor bearing was off a bit in relation to the plinth. Maybe the platter on the Scout isn't dished because I get just about center bubble all the way around the platter? If it was dished, I should get the bubble high on the outside consistently.
Vinh Vu of Gingko Audio here.
I would use the level on the platter. If you have different readings on different places on the platter then you have a warped or uneven platter. The arm is mounted on the plinth on the Scout/Scoutmaster so the reading on the plinth and the platter should be the same otherwise your spindle and platter are not true.
You can also experiment with different balls in different positions to balance the load. More balls will make the suspension stiffer and result in a more punchy, dynamic sound. Fewer balls means a softer suspension and a fuller sound.
Have fun with it.
Vinh Vu
PS. By the way, some customers have asked us about the fact that the motor acrylic plate of the Cloud 9 would raise the motor and cause the belt to ride low on the platter. We provide the plate for older Scout/Scoutmaster that have shorter rubber feet. The newer models have taller rubber feet so you need not use the plate. Just put the motor on the shelf. We have reflect this in our current Cloud 9 manual.