Best 5-10 Rock Recordings?

Hello All,

I've just back into vinyl after a 27 year hiatus.

I am interested in your opinions as to the best 5-10, 70's to present, Rock recordings ever

I have DSOM - MSFL release, AJA - Cisco release, SPLHCB - Japanese release and just ordered Abraxas - MSFL release but I need MORE choices for ear candy.

I'm looking for material that will make my humble system shine; where the engineering was par excellence, the sonics soar and energy leaps from the grooves.

Your critical opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Jan
jsmoller
Given that opinions are like, well...Here's a few items off the top of my head:

Foreigner - Double Vision
Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti
Lowell George - Thanks, I'll Eat It Here
Linda Ronstadt - Simple Dreams
Richard Thompson - Old Kit Bag
Santana - Moonflower
Little River Band - S/T; Diamantina Cocktail
Toto - IV
Neil Young - Comes A Time
Queen - The Game

Nearly any Little Feat, Supertramp, Steely Dan, Eagles, Talking Heads, to name but a few....

BTW, these are all original issues of these LPs - no remastered, half-speed, reissues. They all get high marks for both sonics and music. There's too much great music out there to buy based solely on sonics - I've heard too many systems where the tired old "audiophile chestnuts" are trotted out. C'mon man, play some music!! Good listening,

-Richard
Many good suggestions. Here's a couple more: Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms & Love Over Gold.
There's no accounting for taste.

I tried but there are just too many. I can't come up with just 5 or 10.

I think Palasr had a good list.
If you go with Supertramp - bolt down your table, play it loud and don't operate any machinery.
I've heard that being interrupted while listeing to "Bloody Well Right" or "School" is a known cause of domestic disturbance.
i'd have to disagree here. "Brothers in arms" is a lousy recording if you ask me.

rock recordings are more about suiting the mood, not pure sonics. also i feel great recording has to have great music in front of it.

a few off the top of my head

randy newman "good old boys"
nirvana "in utereo"
van morrison "moondance"
beatles "rubber soul"
television "marquee moon"
hendrix "axis bold as love " (mono version)
richard thompson "pour down like silver"